Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Freezing Up (2000 SP-3)

Recently Outlook 2000 SP-3 has been freezing up and has to close down when I am in the middle of forwarding a message that I have to do some editing on. Or when replying and answering or editing a reply. It wants to send the error to MS but I don
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Freezing Up (2000 SP-3)

Well I have an Outlook file that I can repeat this @#%@%&^ Outlook error. It won't let me copy the text so I can paste it here. I can get an "Alt Prt Scr" of the first page of the error report but would that do any good in trying to troubleshoot this problem? It is a rather long report. Or is there any suggestions how I can retrieve the text of this error report that gets sent to Microsoft?
    H Lewton

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I take it no dialog box comes up, but you're referring to a log file. This error only happens when you reply or forward?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

OldDog,

It is the error message that asks if you want to send it to Microsoft. So far it has only happened while I am in the middle of cleaning up and/or editing received emails for forwarding. It occurs while editing. It just stops - freezes and in about 10 seconds that dreaded error message comes up. Then after deciding which route you want (send to MS or not send to MS) Outlook closes down. I did a repair out of desperation last Saturday but it doesn't seem to have helped.

I have never before been able to duplicate it on demand until yesterday with this one particular email. That in itself seems very strange because without editing it, I have no problem forwarding it.

This may all be tied together with I.E. 6.0 because before Outlook started acting up my I.E. would freeze in much the same manner when replying or posting a message here at Woody
    H Lewton

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know what you mean about the reformat hassles. I'm going through that now on a system for which I can't find the installation disks for the accessories. Bummer.

Some things to try (low probability, but easy fixes if they work):

1) Start Outlook in safe mode and see if you still have the problem. (Start | Run, type Outlook /safe)
    2) If you use a log in profile, it may be corrupt. Create a different one.
    3) With Outlook closed:
    3.A) Locate the outcmd.dat file and rename it. A new one wil be created when you start outlook.
    3.[img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] Locate frmcache.dat and rename it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

OldDog,

I just tried it and it did the same thing in the safe mode.

1. What is a log in profile? I don
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

OldDog,

It still freezes up after trying all the suggestions. However, I did notice that neither of the *.dat files were recreated after renaming them and restarting Outlook. I even rebooted thinking that may cause them to be recreated but it still didn't recreate either file. Is that anything significant?

Thanks.
    H Lewton

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, it was a long shot in this case. frmcache stores the various forms that are used. There was a chance that you had some corruption there. The files were probably created in a diffrent location. I've never seen them not get created. I'll look around for other possible solutions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

OldDog,

The files were probably created in a diffrent location. I have searched the entire hard drive and the 2 files were not recreated on my machine. I wonder if that in itself is a problem?

Thanks.
    H Lewton

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm. I have to think the failure to create these files is indicative of another, deeper problem. But I don't know what off hand. I would exit outlook then set the filenames back to their original versions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

OldDog,

Thanks. I have already done that when I couldn't find any recreated files.

This all started happening after II installed the SP-3 update and that has been some time ago, now.
    H Lewton