5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installing WIN XP as dual boot (Home Edition)

I am working on a Compaq Presario 5000 which has WIN ME - which came with the Compaq Restore disks. I tried to eliminate WIN ME and the Compaq "extras" by reformatting the hard drive and loading WIN 98 SE. But I had problems with the onboard soundcard. The sound came out "garbled" After many futile exercises trying to figure it out, I decided to reinstall the Compaq WIN ME and that solved the "garbled" sound. So now I am thinking I could install WIN XP as a dual boot process. That would "protect" the sound card (I think). Compaq automatically sets up two partitions - a C and then a D for SYSTEM SAVE. How will WIN XP handle the extra partition in the dual boot setup. Will it carve out a chunk of the C partition for the WIN XP partition? Does this make any sense at all?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Installing WIN XP as dual boot (Home Edition)

You will still need to get the CompaQ onboard drivers for Windows XP. The generic ones that come with XP MAY NOT work.

CompaQ would like for you to get Windows XP from them, which would have the drivers and all other OEM software.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your input Dave - do you have any idea about how XP will handle the partition issue. The hard drive is 20 GB - the Compaq Restore disk set up two partitions - the C partition with 17 GB and the D partition with 3 GB. Will XP carve out a new partition from the C area?

Banned Member
    Thanks

You could of used the System CD that came with CompaQ to install the drivers for the sound card, that is if they would work with Win98. If not you could of downloaded the drivers for that sound card from the Internet that would of worked with Win98. I have done those sort of things many times. But of course you have to know what kind of on board sound card you are dealing with. Where there is a will there is a way. If I was you , I would just reformat the disk { the whole thing } and load WinXP. That disk once its formated doesn't know who Compaq is. XP will probably have drivers that will work with most anything you have on that machine and if not you can find the drivers that will work. I have rebuilt many Compaqs, reformated the hard drives and removed all traces of there crap from the machine and it didn't mind at all. Sometimes I would have to go on the internet and find some drivers for on board Sound & Video cards, but they can be found. I got pretty good at finding such things. So if you need help finding something let me know. I might even already have it in my vast array of drivers I have downloaded.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hopefully to clarify (and not confuse): I'm with the other responders here that the garbled sound is coming from a mismatched driver. It doesn't matter how many OS's you add, when you're booted into the OS with garbled sound (98, right?) the sound is going to be garbled, xp, me, or no. When you re-installed ME, you re-installed a sound driver that worked.

I never used ME, and only have experienced the horrors second hand through these forums. If it were me, I'd wipe the disk (including the partitions), and install xp. If the sound doesn't work, get another (updated xp) driver. If you can't find one, the cowboy'll fix ya up, I bet....

But if you don't want to spend any money on xp, pick an OS, get a good driver, and save the gigs you have left for fun stuff, and not OS you don't need.....

only my opinion,
    kip

Banned Member
    Thanks

Right on jkipk, Thats what I say, reformat the whole 20GB disk and load WinXP and save the rest of your space for other things. You can always do a backup to restore your system if need be. To heck with Compaqs extra crap. You don't need it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have located XP drivers for the sound card and the video card and am downloading them as I type this. I will reformat tomorrow and load XP and see what happens. Will let you know. I wholeheartedly agree about getting rid of the Compaq crap - that is why I originally loaded WIN 98 SE. But the sound driver problem forced me back to ME - at least to verify that it was a driver problem and not a hardware problem. But the driver problem still has me concerned since the ME driver was supposed to work with 98 SE also. Like I say, I will let you know. Thanks for your input.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hey all, Installed WIN XP and all is working just fine. The XP drivers are working also. I installed GOBACK DELUXE and also Norton System Works. Everything seems to be fine. Thanks for your help. The only thing left of COMPAQ is the logo that comes up when the computer starts - built into the bios I suspect.

Thanks again.