Star Lounger
    Thanks

AutoOpen (Word 2002)

I have created a document in Word 2002 that prompts users to enter info based on the required prompts. I used the ASK filed, bookmark name and then cross-referenced the fields as required. I then created an AutoOpen macro. All worked well. Now when this form is opened the user is automatically prompted to enter the required info, fantastic. But now I want to save this file as a template. When I save this document as a template I loose the AutoOpen macro, nothing happens. Does anyone know why when I save this document as a template the macro is not saved, how can I get around this?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: AutoOpen (Word 2002)

Do you want the user to be prompted to fill in the fields every time the document is opened, or only the first time a new document of this type is created? If the latter, then you want to use AutoNew (or alternatively a Document_New procedure in the private ThisDocument module of the attached template) rather than AutoOpen.

As far as the missing macro, where did you save the macro to in the first place? - possibly it was saved to the template on which the document was based, rather than the document itself. In that scenario, if you later save the document as a template, you will lose the association with the macro. If you open this new template and then go into the VB Editor, do you see the macro associated with the template? If not, you will need to add a new module to the template and recreate the macro in that module.

The best method for creating a template is to start off creating a template in the first place, rather than creating a document and saving it as a template.

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AutoOpen (Word 2002)

The AutoNew is what I needed. Amazing how many people I asked (in helpdesk roles) and could not hlep me.
    Thank you very much for your trouble, exactly what I wanted.