3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 97 erratic saves

I'm not Eileen, but I guess you won't mind ...

Just quit Word, rename Normal.dot as Abnormal.dot and restart Word. Change to the seting you prefer and quit and restart again.

If that does not do the trick, do something similar with all other global templates.

Could be that Normal.dot is infected by a macro virus of some kind, or some other global template is responsible.

BAM

>>I always select "Always create backup copy" in the save options but at apparently random intervals this is cleared and "Allow fast saves" is checked by the resident Word gremlin, resulting in larger files. Reinstalling has no effect. I have Word 97 SR 2.<<

If recreating Normal.dot doesn't take care of it, then it's possible that there is a little corruption in the Registry.

The WordData Key in the Registry holds this information, specifically the Settings value of that key.

You might want to try recreating it to see if it clears up the problem.

The steps for this are provided in this article from the Microsoft Word MVP site:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm>http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm</A>

Note that this is written for missing menus, but the steps and information will apply.

There is also a link in the article to "What exactly does the Data Key in the Registry store?" that provides some steps to help retain your user preferences should you opt to delete/rename the Settings value.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Mike Puircell

Word 97 erratic saves

I always select "Always create backup copy" in the save options but at apparently random intervals this is cleared and "Allow fast saves" is checked by the resident Word gremlin, resulting in larger files. Reinstalling has no effect. I have Word 97 SR 2.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mike:

One other possibility. Are you on a network with administrators who install a new normal.dot every day? If they do, you can either talk to them or record a macro that sets all your options the way you want. Then name the macro AutoExec & put it in the normal template.