New Lounger
    Thanks

Scatter Plots (97 ST-2)

I have a 7- row 2- column wide table which I first charted as a scatter plot. The plot (right) showed the values on the X axis the way I wanted them (90/10, 75/25, 60/40, 50/50, 40/60, 25/75, 10/90) and the Y axis as numbers (96, 91, 89, 87, 85, 82, 77). When I copy the table and try to reproduce the scatter plot the X axis values become 1 through 8 no matter what I do to reformat the X axis.
    The X axis of the first plot (right) appears to be a category axis; whereas the X axis in the 2nd plot (wrong) is a values axis.
    How can I replicate the first scatter plot? attached is the file for the right plot.
    Thanks.
    Mrj1

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scatter Plots (97 ST-2)

The chart in the attached workbook is a line chart. It can't be a scatter chart, for the x-values are text, while the x-values for a scatter chart must be numeric (or dates, which actually are numeric too.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you change the x-axis values to .1, .25, .4, .5, .6, .75, .9 (or 10, 25, 40, etc) so they are numbers (as Hans said) then the graph will be an ascending one, the same as yours. If you used the values 90,75,60, etc then it would be descending. You can put labels on the x-axis to reflect the " 90/10" that you want displayed.
    Ruth

Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is a way to put data labels onto the axes. From memory: Create a range with y=0 and x=whatever tickmarks you want to display, eg x=.11 for the 10/90 place. Plot this range on the chart and format it as no line and Marker + (Black foreground and no background colour). You may need to set the minimum value on the Scale tab for the Y-axis so that this range plots over the top of the axis.
    From Chart Options, in the Axes tab. un-check the box next to the X-axis. This stops the automatic axis from displaying, leaving you only with tick-marks at the right places.
    It's the next bit I can't remember properly. If the labels are just the values, then format the data series and choose the DataLabels tab. But since they aren't, I use a macro to do it.I try to attach it here. It seems to have lost the indenting.

You type the text for the labels alongside the range for the tickmarks. My macro demands that the data are in columns. I usually put all of these extraneous chart ranges in a separate worksheet called ChartExtras rather than keeping them with my data. Select the range and then call up the macro. Then you can format the data labels.

Hope this makes sense. Maybe some other Loungers can tidy up the macro. It was originally for XL95 or earlier.
    RuthC