Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Access hangs on WinXP (Access 97/2002)

We're beating our heads against this one. Under certain specific circumstances, both Access XP and 97 will hang running under WinXP. The circumstances are that Outlook is running (either 2000 or XP) and you toggle to the Outlook application during a portion of the operation when Access is trying to reattach files using an instance of the current database opened in a second DAO workspace. I'm trying to track down anything on this problem and haven't had much luck. There are articles about the ODBC drivers in multithreaded environments, but they seem to apply more to SQL Server links and are supposed to be fixed by the latest installation of Jet 4.x. Not on my machine, they aren't.

Does anyone have any more information on this issue? We're also getting reported hangs after an email is sent by our application on a client's WinXP machine, but we haven't been able to replicate that. The primary suspect in both cases is Outlook, even though we use the Redemption library to bypass the direct MAPI calls.

Suggestions?
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access hangs on WinXP (Access 97/2002)

Is it possible the 100% redline problem with the recent SPs for Office is involved here?
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access hangs on WinXP (Access 97/2002)

Well, I thought of that when I first noticed this, but I will go back and check it again. I have the patches on my machine that are supposed to cure that, and it happens on my machine anyhow. I believe we have an installation without the security patches on our VMWare platform, and it did the same thing there. Doesn't happen at all with Windows 2000, only WinXP.
    Charlotte