Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Conditional Formatting (2000)

I know I have seen this somewhere, but couldn't find anything when I searched. Let's say I want to conditionally format a cell so that if the cell contents are "N/A", the font will be regular, black; if the contents are < 0, the font would be bold, red, and if > 0, bold, green. I seem to remember a quirk that you must put the "text" condition first, but when I do that it doesn't work-the cell font is either bold green or red.
    Any help?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Conditional Formatting (2000)

Probably the best thing to do is set the default to normal font attributes, and then for < 0 set the color to red and > 0 set it to green. You did not say how you want any other values to show including 0, so they would appear normal black in this scheme.

If you only want 3 options for conditional formatting, you only need to have two conditions, and use the normal properties for the third possibility.

Andrew C

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Jeff,

As Andrew remarked, you specify "less than zero" and "greater than zero" as conditions here. If that is what you want, cells containing text will have the standard formatting.

However, if you meant "less than or equal to zero", as in <post#=188789>post 188789</post#>, you should put in a format for text cells first, because "less than or equal to zero" evaluates to TRUE for text cells. This won't apply to cells containing #N/A (the built-in constant for Not Available), but it will for cells containing "N/A" as text.

New Lounger
    Thanks

If you go to the tools menu, conditional formating is on the drop down list. You can then set the conditions you are looking at. Click on the format button, and you can assign the font color or cell color you would like.

Hope this helps.

JT.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Jeff,

You could also change just the text colour with a custom format like:
    ['Red']#,##0;['Green']-#,##0;0 (delete the tick marks - they're just there to stop the lounge swallowing the formatting parameters and changing the text colour)

This still doesn't give the bold attribute, though you could choose a bold font for that. Then, if you really wanted the "N/A" to be non-bold, use a single conditional format for that result.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]