Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstall: Second Hard Disk no Longer Available (Windows XP Pro(SP1))

I've had a lot of problems with XP recently and have come back here for a sanity check after bouncing around microsoft.com

My XP system keeps crashing. A multitude of errors including (but not exclusively) ntoskrnl.exe problems...
    I bit the bullet and wiped my primary hard disk - safe in the knowledge that all my personal files are safely saved on a secondary master hard disk. After the clean install I was surprised to find that Windows XP no longer recognises my secondary hard disk. If I boot into recovery consle I can confirm the volume label, file system and directory structure... But I can't access any of the folders on it (No permission)
    When I boot to Windows it simply does not appear.... Although Device Manager recognises that I have two hard disks and that "The device is working correctly"

All my hard disks are NTFS formated. Could there be some residual permissions problems on my second hard disk that prevents my new clean install of XP recognising it? Or could it be something more?
    Oh yes, I've reintsalled many times due to one faliure or another and I've never had this problem before.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to be able to see my second hard disk!!! (Years of work on there!)
    Especially if there is a well know thread relating to persistent registry faliure problems with XP out there. Which might help me figure out what's making XP fall over so often.

Asus A7N8X
    Athlon 1800
    256 DDR
    Two Maxtor 60gig Hard Disks (Both NTFS format)
    Windows XP (SP1 - I've had problems before SP1 but thought it might help)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Reinstall: Second Hard Disk no Longer Available (Windows XP Pro(SP1))

1.) - Seems like a permissions problem. Are you logging on with an administrator's id? Do you mean that it does not appear in Windows Explorer? Have you checked the Disk Manager to make sure the second drive is assigned a drive letter?
    2.) - There is no persistent registry failure that I know of which would cause XP so many problems. This seems more like a hardware issue. Have you check all the cables? Is the PC running hot - well hotter than normal for an AMD CPU (a good fan and ventiliation is more critical for an AMD processor than Intel)? Any strange noises from the PC?
    3.) - what other errors?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your feedback.

I nolonger see the drive in Windows Explorer. I'm logged in as an Admin with the same name as before but I suspect you're correct about permissions. Anyway to release all permissions on a NTFS drive?
    I will check Disk Manager, but it is definateley not being asigned a drive letter (It's as if it were not formatted - although I know it is)
    Will Disk Manager allow me to force a drive letter?

I'm afraid it might well be a hardware issue. I'm running in an aluminium tower with a silentpc heat sink (It's a monster) with full exhaust fans (front and back) but I am getting an average chip temperature of 55 (This is consistent - no spkes when it's working hard so I wasn't too worried about the temperature). System and chipset temp is in low 30's
    *sigh* the price you pay for a quite PC

The joke is that this PC is my ICS - so I have to come to work to seek help?!? You don't know how much you miss the internet until it's cruelly taken away from you!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Disk manager should allow you to assign a drive letter. See the help on the mechanics of accomplishing that.

Joe
    Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks

You need to go into BIOS and make sure BIOS is seeing that Disk correctly. I have never had to be signed in as an Administrator to see my Hard Drives. But then again I don't use NTFS so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. But what I do know is that sometimes you have to force BIOS to refind a Disk when there has been problems, and you have to make sure that the Disk is being seen correctly. I had a simular problem once and went into BIOS and even though it showed up in BIOS I had to force it to find it again before it worked in Windows and then it was assigned a Letter.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

First of all, anything you do, DO NOT format your second HD or create/delete partitions.

Cause that your new Windows installation does not see your second disk is probably damaged clusters with partition information or controller failure. The best solution is to found another computer with Win NT/2000/XP installation and connect your HD to that computer. If it is not the case, download diagnostics utility (Powermax for Maxtor/Quantum hard drives, Lifeguard Tools for Western Digital hard drives etc.; usually any utility will work on any hard drive), copy it on bootable floppy and perform the test. Also PowerQuest PartitionMagic has powerful diagnostic and repair utility.
    I cannot suggest more before the nature of the problem is determined.