Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 2000 Shut Down Problem

I am running Win 2K Pro service pack 3 on my PC, Pentium II 400 Mhz, 256 Mb RAM, STB Velocity 4400 Video Card (Running current nVidia universal TNT driver), SoudBlaster PCI128, 3 GB avail on hard disk, all temp files deleted, all internet cache files deleted, defragged recently, Norton SystemWorks 2002 running Norton Antivirus 2002 and Norton Personal Firewall.

Periodically when I shut my PC down it gets just past the Windows is shutting down dialog box, goes to a blank screen displaying only a mouse cursor which I can move, but no right click menus or task bar menus available. It gets to this point and just hangs there.

I can't just power down at this point, I have to hold the power switch in for 5 seconds to force a shut down or hit the reset switch, which restarts the computer which is the opposite of what I am trying to do.

The only thing I have installed recently is Simcity 4, but this problem started several weeks later.

Any thoughts on where to start trouble shooting. I don't want to have to reload windows if I don't have to.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Windows 2000 Shut Down Problem

I don't have a fix for your problem but " can't just power down at this point, I have to hold the power switch in for 5 seconds to force a shut down" this is STANDARD on all newer machines. It prevents the accidental shut down of the machine. The older boxes had knee knockers which would turn off the machine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Windows 2000 Shut Down Problem

Joe