Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Locking the position of Embedded Documents (96/sr2)

I have an Excel Workbook which will be distributed by e-mail to a wide group of people.
    These people will not have access to a common site where data might be stored.
    I want to embed files within the spreadsheet that the recipients can open and copy data from or edit.
    It is mandatory that the embedded file remain in the cell where it was originally placed, as the location has meaning.
    I find that whenever I lock the location of the embedded file I am unable to open it.
    If I am able to open the embedded file I can also move it around on the spreadsheet.

Can someone tell me how to lock the position of the embedded object, yet allow the user to open and edit it?
    Regards
    Don

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Locking the position of Embedded Documents (96/sr2)

Hi Don,

I'm not aware of any way to do that.

As an alternative, you might try placing a hyperlink to the editable/viewable files in the relevant cells. The user could them open the files by clicking on the hyperlinks, which don't even need the same names as the files they refer to. This means you can keep the size of the Excel workbook to a minimum and, by keeping the linked files (set to read only) in a central location instead of distributing them with the workbook, you can update their default content without having to redistribute the workbook. Users would then be able to open & revise the files, and could save their edited versions to a new location/filename.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Locking the position of Embedded Documents (96/sr2)

Thanks would love to do that. But the recipients cannot all get to a common location that would contain the linked file.
    Regards
    Don