New Lounger
    Thanks

Backing up the Autocorrect file (Office 2000)

Hello All,
    Rookie of the week here! I could have sworn that at one time or other I had read a section of one of Woody's pubs that told how to back up the autocorrect file and transport it between computers. I have been searching for it for the last 2-plus hours to no avail. As I remember, it is a fairly simple, low keystroke method. Does anyone know how to ... I have a LOT of customized additions to my autocorrect that I use between Word & Excel. Now I want to (I hate to say this) take them home, too!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Backing up the Autocorrect file (Office 2000)

Autocorrect entries are stored in *.acl files. Usually under <username>.acl. You can search your computer for *.acl files, & email them as an attachment to your home. Search the Word forum for AutoCorrect & you will find many threads on this issue.
    Cheers,

Thanks

On Windows 2000, you can find your "active" .acl file(s) in this folder:

Cocuments and SettingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftOffice

On Windows 9x, this may be somewhere in the c:Windows folder.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,
    Thanks for the input. I did make a copy of the last-saved and largest of the 4 *.acl files I found. However, that isn't exactly what I was looking for. As I said in my original post, somewhere in the deep, dark past, I received a "Hint/Tips/Trick" type of message from somewhere telling me how to automatically make a Word Doc titled "AutoCorrect Backup Document" that lists all of my AutoCorrect entries in a 3-column table format with the columns being - Name - Value - RTF (a True/False status). I have the file from 03/14/2002 which is apparently when I first heard about ths whole idea. (I could send it as an attachment if you need to see the actual file at a later date.) It appears that I could add or delete list items in the Word format and then reverse the procedure to return it to .acl format. That is what I would like to be able to do as Word is a bit less bulky to use when editing more than 2 or 3 new or existing entries.
    With all that said, does this raise any flags from your end about another possible solution? Also, (here comes that Rookie again!) does my responding to your answer update the thread or do I need to copy this to someplace else to get the second, more detailed request for info out to the better part of the free world?
    Thanks again for your help.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

That sounds like a nice feature, but I don't recall it. You can transfer settings by using techniques from <post#=5112>post 5112</post#>, but I don't recall an option for printing out autocorrect entries. Sounds like someone posted a macro to do this.

And, yes, it's best to only respond to an post once. Anyone who has followed the thread or interested will see all the posts & can respond. While it is true that only those who've elected to receive email notification of replies will get one (& only the person who's post you respond to), most of the regulars check for new posts in the forums that they frequent.

If you come across this tip, please post back.