Thread: My 2 cents

cyburnet

Re: My 2 cents

Just bought a new Dell Pentium 4 with Windows ME & have simular problems. I use 4 USB connections: keyboard, mouse, epson perfection photo scanner, & HP 932C inkjet printer. Computer locks up frequently; boots slowly (3-4 minutes); processing time from computer to printer is slow, printer locks up computer with spool 32 error sometimes when printing online; & scanner locks up sometimes. I suspect that the main problem is Windows ME. Any suggestions??? Is it difficult to upgrade from ME to Windows 2000??? Thanks for any advice. Sincerely, Ben Burnette

JCornelius

Hello! I won't lie to you- it took me two attempts to get my computer to accept this OS. The action I took the second time was to unplug all my USB devices and erase the drivers and programs for them (for me it was a camera, scanner, and a zip drive.) For you though, I would do the same, but obviously you must leave the keyboard and mouse engaged, only if you have no other way to connect them. If everything works out, install each USB device 1 at a time, and it should either recognize it or call for your installation disk which should have a folder for the Win2000 OS.
    The people from the many bulletin boards I have gone to all indicate that there is a definite problem with WinME and their USB setup. The best of luck, Ben, and like I said when I first started this topic, Windows2000 Pro, for me, was most definitely the best OS I have ever used!
    If you switch over, come back and let us know!

JCornelius

My 2 cents

When I upgraded to WinMe from 98, I tried to be enthusiastic. I figured that I am using the latest drivers, and there are some nice new features in Millenium, and it appears to boot faster, and so on.
    But almost from the start I had trouble with a couple of my USB devices. One major problem was that Windows Me would not let me load up my HP scanning software. It kept on reporting that there was a USB error with my machine! I tried to reinstall my HP scanner so many times with no luck then I finally contacted HP only to find out that there WAS a compatability issue between the scanning software and WinMe. So, with directions from HP and patience on my part, I got the scanner to function again.(Many thanks to HP for their professionalism and curteousy!)
    The next issue was my Iomega 250 USB Zip drive. Previously in Win98, this device would hang up on occasion... annoying, but bearable. In WinMe though, I would get a BSOD- total system lockup every time! Only by pressing the computer's reset button, could I end this situation; and we all know how healthy that is to do! Again, I tried to uninstall & reinstall numerous times plus many other troubleshooting techniques resulting in total failure. As far as Iomega was concerned, they acknowledged that there was serious incompatibility issues between their software and Microsoft.I ended up taking the loss and put my 250 Zip drive away in the closet.
    So, here is the reason I am writing this saga... Do yourself a favor and completely bypass WinMe. Go immediately and install one of the best Operating System I have had the pleasure of recently installing: Windows 2000 Professional!
    For those of you who have it on their systems, you know what I am talking about. Everyone else: buy it and live in peace. When you upgrade and have a good install, and reconfigure and update some of your software and drivers, you will realize what a superior OS this is.
    Oh, 1 last note... My USB 250 Zip drive has been resurrected and is performing flawlessly!

New Lounger
    Thanks

I also have a Dell but mine is a PIII with WinME installed
    and all went well until recently when I had loaded several
    programs on the WinME OS..I now frequently get a message
    that states: Mcext has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL
    Mcext will now close...Can't understand what this means
    or what is causing this pop up message..Anyone know and/or
    able to help me..greatly appreciated...Please email
    or post solution..Many thanks and have a great week!

JCornelius

Hello! Perhaps you can list the programs that you recently installed in your computer. Probably, the best thing you can do is to uninstall and then reinstall all of your recent programs, one by one, closing all running applications on your computer at the time (especially virus protection software.)
    Then after you reinstall each one individually, reboot your computer each time and run the software you have just installed to see if your error message comes up. You have to figure- it never came up before the new programs you mentioned that you recently installed.
    Good Luck!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Would like to hear the solution for the ME/USB incompatibilities. Is there a MSoft patch to handle them all?

JCornelius

Unfortunately, Ladimer, no magical patch that I have found!
    For each USB device that caused a problem, I went to the manufacturer's website and looked up their drivers pertaining to WinME; downloaded them to a folder in the "C" drive. Then I went to the "System Properties" menu then to "Device Manager" and then to the individual devices. Click on the Update driver; specify location; indicating that "C" drive folder with the new WinME drivers.
    In addition to everything else, my Chipset was from VIA technologies. I also went to their site and downloaded their USB drivers which I also used.
    Even after all this, I still had problems! At least HP was able to get into a direct one on one contact with an HP technician, and we finally got my scanner working.(Very nice people over at HP, BTW)
    But I finally gave up on the Iomega 250 USB ZIP drive; (until I did the right thing and went all the way to Windows2000 Pro!)
    Hope this helps & Good luck everyone!