New Lounger
    Thanks

OL2K: Using Email 2

Does anyone know how I can make use of alternative email addresses stored in a contact. I'd like to be able to set up aliases for them. Hopefully, I won't have to store the same contact more than once.

THX,
    John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OL2K: Using Email 2

corp or interent mode? see help > about.

you can use nicknames, but not sure if that works for the extra addresses, it only works in internet mode though.

New Lounger
    Thanks

MJ,
    Thanks for the quick response. I'm using Internet mode now. May be moving over. Have not found a way to associate nicknames with alternative addresses, though I admit I may have missed something.

THX,
    John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

i use corp so i'm not sure of the steps, but it involves the nickname field on the second tab. with only one field, it's probably limited to one address per contact.

gwetting it to work is convoluted, i think there is a KB on it.

preed

You can download a file called nicknames.exe (or something like that) from the office update site to go through your nicknames cache and remove those you no longer want. Or, just search for and rename the file with the .NICK extension on your hard drive. This will clear your cache of ambiguous names Outlook has already resolved to point to a certain address.

When you first enter an ambiguous name Outlook cannot resolve, it will be underlined in red, meaning there are more than one possible hits for it. Right click on it and point to the desired address book entry. From that point on, you can use that ambiguous name to refer to the desired address, and Outlook will underline it in green. This means it remembered who you were referring to previously, and is using the address you told it to use. Again, you can right click the address to select another, alternate address if you desire.