New Lounger
    Thanks

Auto-Update Form Based On Different Table (1)

I have two tables (project and appointments) and like-named forms. The project table contains a field called "format" as does the appointments table. The tables are linked via a one(project)-to-many(appointments) relationship.

I would like to be able to open the appointments form, type in the name of a certain project, and have the appointment form "auto-update" with the particular projects format.

Example: A project called "Godzilla" is of the format type "EP." When I access the appointment form and choose Godzilla, the appointment form's format would automatically read "EP."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Auto-Update Form Based On Different Table (1)

If I understand correctly, you shouldn't have a "format" field in the appointments table. It is redundant information, since it is determined by the project, not by an appointment for the project. (I hope that format is not the field linking the two tables).

You can create a query based on the project and appointments tables. Access will automatically join them if you have created a join in Tools/Relationships... Add * from the appointments table to the query grid, and the format field from the project table, as well as any other field from the project table that you want to display in the appointments form.

Set the Record Source property of the appointments form to the query you just created. The format field should now behave the way you want.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Don't name a field "Format" unless you want some version of Access to punish you for it. Access 2002 is particularly strict with people who use reserved words like the names of properties as field names.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. This did it. (Regarding the other person's post regarding "format" - will do.)