2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Replicas, Secure DBs, and MDEs (Access 2k)

Is it possible to use the replica feature on MDEs and Secured DBs? is there a way to write VBA to have a replica replicate with the design master without having to use Tools->Replication->Synchronize Now?

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Replicas, Secure DBs, and MDEs (Access 2k)

Microsoft provides a lot of information on replication. Here are some useful links:

A good overview is Database Replication in Microsoft Jet 4.0. There is a paragraph about security.

Also see Access Replication Frequently Asked Questions. Subject # 23 is about replicating an MDE database. You can't make a replicated .MDB into an .MDE, but you *can* make an unreplicated .MDB into an .MDE and then replicate it.

For information on controlling replication in code, see Microsoft Access Replication Using DAO. The page contains a link to Using DAO to Synchronize Replicas.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What exactly are you trying to do? In Access 2k and later, a Microsoft Jet and Replication Objects (JRO) library exists that you can use to programatically handle synchronization , etc. but it would be easier to answer your question with more details provided.

You can certainly replicate an MDE, but you wouldn't be able to change the design master anyhow, so there isn't really much point that I can see.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I will have a database that will be utilized by 3-4 people that is housed locally on a computer in an office in one location. All of these users will access the database (which is not split) from computers located in the same office. Speed is not an issue in the same office. The user that will be using the replica is located 200 miles away but is still connected to the same network. However, the connection speed to the database located in the other office is so slow that it is impractical. I wanted to install the database in the office that has 3-4 users and create a replica for the other user so this user could work at a reasonable speed. This of course is not a problem.

However, I am also considering protecting the database by either securing the database or creating it as an MDE. Once complete the database should not need to be changed. I was curious if replication worked with user level security and the MDE.

Thanks for taking your time to answer my question.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks HansV, I will check these out as well.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excellent articles HansV, thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

IMHO you would be better served to split the database so that replication doesn't have to check to see if any of the queries, forms, reports or code have changed. We often do it that way, and simply ship a new MDB/MDE front-end to the user when there are design changes - that way only the back-end (data) has to be replciated. For one thing, replicating a database makes it bloat substantially, and replicating the other objects would make synchronization take longer. You might also want to look at the replication manager that comes with Office 2K developer version (it may be hard to find). It includes tools to automatically synchronize on a periodic basis. You might also find our replication tutorial useful.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

I occassionally make design changes, and after experimenting with this today, I am happy with my results. I have housed the design master on my machine which can replicate with one replica located on a machine 200 miles away. The only other users are 3-4 which work out of the office where the replica is stored. Their network access is fast enough to suit my needs and the database will likely remain small. Should it grow to an unmanageable size regarding speed, I will definetely look at splitting the db.

Thanks.