2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Read only templates (Word 2000/Win 98/2000 )

Hi Gang,
    I have a peer to peer network 4PCs, 1 Mac using MacLan with workgroup templates located on one of the PCs. Everybody can see and access the templates no problem. When someone uses one of the templates the others get a "file in use - open as read only" message. They click Yes and they get a blank doc based on the template like it would normally do. They are going through File New to access the templates which should not cause this kind of problem. The templates are not set up to be read only, I checked the file properties, the folder properties, and everyone has the right kind of access to the PC that is host to the templates.
    Also, I noticed that when someone is using a file based on the letter template for example, a file named ~letter.dot appears in the directory. That is normal, but there is also a file called letter.dot.#res there. What is that? Could this be the source of my problem and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Read only templates (Word 2000/Win 98/2000 )

Are they (the users) opening these templates and then doing a "save as" or using File, New and selecting the template?
    If it is the first part, that is your problem.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Re: Read only templates (Word 2000/Win 98/2000 )

> there is also a file called letter.dot.#res there

Macintosh files contain two "forks," data and resources. Maybe this is related to the Mac compatibility?