3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop processor in laptop

Thinking of buying a Compaq Presario 2111 laptop with Athlon XP 2200 *desktop* processor rather than the mobile version. Has anyone any comments about whether heat (and hence possible component failure) or low battery life is a problem with this Athlon desktop processor in a laptop? Would also be grateful for pointers to any reviews of this machine, or suggestions of better options at same price level:

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Desktop processor in laptop

I can't comment on the Athlon processor, but I have an Intel P4 desktop processor in my Dell SmartStep 200N laptop. There are vents all over the chasis of the laptop, allowing for proper cooling of the unit.

As for battery life, I haven't noticed any difference with that of other models / brands of laptops. They all (in my experience) last atleast 2 hours of regular use.
    Christopher Baldrey

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much Chris - this is reassuring at any rate.

Nick

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

One thing I didn't mention, and should have, is that the fan when it starts running is very loud. If you're looking for something to handle sound output, think about an external sound system of some sort. Isn't there something USB for this???
    Christopher Baldrey

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Athlon processors run hotter than Intels do. I am just getting into the overclocking and computer "modding" game as a sort of a hobby and have an Athlon XP 2100+ with a BIG heatsink/fan combination, as well as fans in the case. Without knowing anything about your particular specs on the laptop, I would be very careful about heat/power requirements for cooling/noise issues. What are the advantages of using a desktop processor vs. a mobile one? Are you going to be truly mobile (running off a battery?)

An Athlon XP should run in the low 40 degree celsius range at idle, and hopefully no hotter than 50c or so when you're working it. If it gets above 60c you're going to start doing some damage, to the life of the proc. if not more. At those temps in a laptop case that's a lot of heat stuck in a small space that could do damage to other parts. If your manufacturer has got this worked out, great. I know that there's a constant quest for adequate cooling for Athlons in desktop cases, which seems to be a much easier problem than in a laptop. I'd be skeptical.

One last thing, there is a new line of Athlon XP's, the Thoroughbred core, that run a little cooler than the older Palomino's. I'd be wanting one of those....

kip