Thanks

Msconfig Questions

I am running Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition 4.10.2221(Dell OEM) on an OptiPlex GX200.

Just now I have a semifunctioning computer, stuck at 16 colors and 640x480, with no sound and no usb printer, scanner, etc. A Dell tech spent a couple of hours with me working with msconfig to establish that MSACMNSX83=nsx83p32.acm under [drivers32] in the system.ini needed to be unchecked to get the system to boot using Selective Startup. I have not been able to determine what I need to do to install a copy of this driver that does not lead to a fatal exception error on booting. Also, in the troubleshooting process we unchecked the [boot] section of system.ini. I guess, by default, Windows inserts a copy of Display Fallback=0 or Display Fallback=1 (adding to those already there) and checks it. In any event, a copy of the former is the only item checked in this section. I have 18 items to choose among:

oemfonts.fon=vgaoem.fon
    shell=Explorer.exe Windows
    system.drv=atmsys.drv
    drivers=mmsystem.dll power.drv
    user.exe=user.exe Windows
    gdi.exe=gdi.exe Windows
    sound.drv=mmsound.drv Windows
    dibeng.drv=dibeng.dll Windows
    comm.drv=comm.drv Windows
    mouse.drv=lmouse.drv
    keyboard.drv=keyboard.drv Windows
    fonts.fon=vgasys.fon
    fixedfon.fon=fgafix.fon
    386Grabber=vgafull.3gr
    display.drv=pnpdrvr.drv
    atm.system.drv=system.drv
    *DisplayFallback=0 Windows Only item checked
    *DisplayFallback=1

"Windows" indicates a windows flag icon next to the item in msconfig system.ini.

Will I be wasting my time trying trial-and-error to determine which items need to be checked and which do not? Should I throw in the towel, back up my personal items, and reformat the disk and do a clean install of the OEM Win98 operating system? Should I consider upgrading to Win2000 Professional? Are there advantages to a full (MS) upgrade over an OEM upgrade (if the latter is really, legally available to me? What kind of support should I expect from MS if I buy the full upgrade?

Thanks,

John
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Msconfig Questions

Well I will say this. Win 2000 is a very good OS. Better then Win98, and if you don't mind doing a reformat and a full install, that would be the way I would go. I think you will be very happy with Win 2000. I have WinXp on one machine and Win 2000 on my other two Computers and they network very well together also. I have had no problems with Win 2000 to date. I think that would solve all your problems.

Thanks

Here is a bit more information:

MSWord>Help>About>System Information>Components>Display tells me this:

Driver: oemrom.bin
    File Size: Driver Not Installed
    File Date: Driver Not Installed

Driver: nvdea.inf

I reran msconfig and checked all of the items with Windows icons next to them. I also checked mmsystem.dll because of the information below:

Dr Watson run 9 March 2003 @ 4:33 PM

The file mmsystem.dll is not listed in the [boot] section of system.ini. Multimedia services may be erratic.

--------------------
    does not appear to be a Windows 95 Plug-and-Play compatible display driver.

Now I have sound, but I am still having problems setting the display to higher resolution. I looked on all my hard drives, I do not find the two drivers that MSWord complains about.

Do I need both of them?

If I find I can download them, what steps do I take to install them?

Thanks,

John
    Baumgrenze

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It sounds like it is booting up in the SAFE mode, is it?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Dave,

Thanks for your response.

No, I am booting to a desktop. Recently I learned about bla.exe. I just ran a logged boot and checked. It tells me the following:

[00148325] LoadFailed = ndis2sup.vxd

[001484D2] INITCOMPLETEFAILED = SDVXD

The following, from an email to Dell Support might also contain more hints:

To me it
    appears that Win 98 believes that the video driver nvdea.inf is properly installed. When I go to
    Control Panel>System>Device Manager>Display Adapters>NVIDIA TNT2 M64 4X I am told
    that the device is working properly. If I attempt to update the driver and point to
    CELLDRIVERS72242R where a freshly down-loaded driver was deposited by your wizard, I
    am told that the best driver, located in C:WINDOWSINFNVDEA, is already in use and will
    continue to be used.

However, when I go to Microsoft System Information>Components>Display I am told that two
    drivers are not installed. The supplied information is pasted below:

Driver: oemrom.bin

Driver: nvdea.inf

The first driver, I gather, is needed for 2 displays on one machine and is of no present concern.

The second nvdea.inf is apparently critical to the operation of my video system. Somehow,
    Windows is conflicted and has decided that the driver is installed (perhaps a false entry in the
    registry?) while the driver is in fact not found by the functioning operating system (as reported by
    System Information.)

What needs to be done to get my operating system to recognize that the driver is available (in 4
    separate places, C:WINDOWSOPTIONSCABSDRIVERS, C:WINDOWSINF,
    ELLDrivers72242R, and C:ATEMPDownloads(temp)) and to make use of it so that System
    Information knows that it is installed?

I have found, in Windows Help, a reference to a Update Wizard Uninstall, but I am afraid to use it
    without some confirmation by an expert that this is the path to follow.

Please also bear in mind that msconfig still calls for a Selective Startup with the following items
    unchecked in system,ini:

[boot] section
    oemfonts.fon=vgaoem.fon
    system.drv=atmsys.drv
    mouse.drv=lmouse.drv
    fonts.fon=vgasys.fon
    fixedfon.fon=fgafix.fon
    386Grabber=vgafull.3gr
    display.drv=pnpdrvr.drv
    atm.system.drv=system.drv
    *DisplayFallback=1

[drivers32] section
    MSACMNSX83=nsx83p32.acm

Am I correct in my belief that we ultimately want to default back to a "Normal startup" on the
    General tab of msconfig.

I know that MSACMNSX83=nsx83p32.acm will cause a fatal error message on boot if it is
    checked. I also know that one or more of the [boot] section items cause the same behavior, but I
    have not used trial and error to determine which one(s)..

John
    Baumgrenze