Thanks

Coexisting Excel 2000 and 2002 (2002)

I've had 2002 for a while. I discovered that 2002 lacks the Microsoft Map software, which I occasionally need.

I installed Excel 2000, and now I can use it for my maps, but 2000 and 2002 seem to interact in ways I don't want.

The biggest thing is that now, when I double click on a document or its shortcut, the document opens in Excel 2000, not 2002. I looked in My Computer, and sure enough, file extension .xls is now opened by XL2000. I changed it to point to XL2002 for Open, but that didn't help.

Any ideas? (Ideally, I want to get XL2000 only when I open it specifically. I prefer it NOT to interact with XL2002 in any way.)
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Coexisting Excel 2000 and 2002 (2002)

If your only need for XL2000 is to access MS Map, then perhaps you can manage without XL2000. The MS Map software is installed typically to

C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedDataMap

and can be used by XL2002

If, in XL2002, you goto Insert, Object, you should be able to find an entry for Microsoft Map, which will give you full access to MS Map.

So you can un-install XL2000 ( as a precaution back up the Datamap folder and subfolders, in case un-installing 2000 will also remove the Map software ).

To re-establish XL2002, from the start menu select Run and enter

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeExcel.exe" /regserver

where Microsoft Office is the folder in which Office XP (2002) is installed.

If you need to restore Datamap and subfoders, then do so. Also if Microsoft Map is not listed when you click on Insert, Object then goto the Datamap folder and double click on MSMAP.EXE. You may be asked to specify a folder containing Data files, which should be the Data subfolder of Mapdata. Hopefully now MS Map will be available to you in XL2002.

Andrew C

Thanks

I copied the DataMap folder to my desktop, then uninstalled XL2000. That also uninstalled the DataMap folder (except for a custom layout I had used back in the XL97 days). I moved my copy of the DataMap folder back to its original place, then ran XL2002.

Unfortunately, Insert, Object did NOT show an option for Microsoft Map.

I didn't fully understand your instructions about double-clicking on MSMAP.EXE. The only way I could see to do that was to click the "Create from file" tab, then browse to it and double-click it. That didn't put a map into my worksheet, but DID put a box with a Microsoft Map icon in it. I fooled with it for a while, including trying your Data folder typing, but all I ever got was the icon.

I'd try again (or something different) to get the ability to insert maps in XL2002.

If that can't be done, it would be acceptable to have XL2000 installed, and to use it on the infrequent occasions when I need a map, so long as everything else (such as double-clicking .xls files) worked in the usual XL2002 fashion. Maybe your regserver tip would make that happen.

Any more suggestions?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Lou,

Sorry for any confusion. When I suggested double clicking on MSMAP.EXE, I meant to use File Explorer, locate MSMAP.EXE (it should be in the DataMap folder) and double click on it. This should cause it to register itself on your system, and it should then appear as an Insert Object option. It will ask you to confirm the folder for the data files (which should the Datamap subfolder Data).

The < regserver tip >, was suggested to do as you say, i.e. cause XL2002 to be launched when double clicking on any XL file etc. However if you are still having problems you may need to re-install XL2002.

Try the above and let us know how you get on.

Andrew C

Thanks

Andrew,

We are getting closer.

I double-clicked MSMAP.EXE, and told the computer where the data files reside. Now, when I run XL2002, Microsoft Map DOES appear on the list of objects that I can insert. When I attempt to insert a map, a white box appears on my screen, similar to the white box in which proper maps typically appear.

Unfortunately, I get an error message that "The Microsoft Map data file GEODICT.DCT was not found." GEODICT.DCT definitely IS present in the data folder, but it is indicated to be an Express Dictation File. This no doubt comes from a dictation program called Scribe, which I use from time to time. In the File Types section of My Computer, file type DCT shows up as Express Dictation File, and I recall that Scribe's own files have that extension.

That being considered, I also must say that the "white box" behavior mentioned above is somewhat different than DataMap's behavior on a working system. When inserting a map in the latter case, one gets a crosshair cursor with which one can then draw a box for the map. Maybe the different behavior is due to the GEODICT.DCT problem.

I don't know what to do about the .DCT file registration conflict. I know a bit about making changes in the File Types area of My Computer, but I'm reluctant to proceed without further advice.

I must say that a day ago, when I had XL2000 installed, DataMap worked fine. I haven't worked with Scribe in a long while, so I imagine that the File Types thing hasn't changed over the course of this experiment, unless deleting XL2000 did something to it.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Lou,

Did you point MSMAP at the full path to to the data files, as in the attached screen shot ?

It seems that MSMAp is unable to lacate the data files, so perhaps try running MSMAP from File Explorer again and make sure the path to the data files is correct.

The white box is just an embedded blank map which when you get the data file problem sorted should clear up.

Andrew

Thanks

I made an errer (sic) in the path. I fixed it, and now it seems to be working. I couldn't have done it without you.

Now my plans are this:

An artefact remains from the time when I had both XL2000 and XL2002 installed -- the Map icon is still on my toolbar.

With XL2000, it started Microsoft Map. With XL2002, it just popped up the Macros dialog box, and that's what it does now.

I'm hoping to record a macro to insert the map, then link the macro to the Map icon. If it works, I'll have full XL2000 map functionality, but in XL2002.

BTW, a few years back, I puzzled out how to use Microsoft Map to take a list of postal codes (ZIP codes in the U.S.), and make a map with a dot on it for every item on the list. This is very useful when you want to, for example, make a map showing where your customers are, or the places you've lived, or whatever. Also, the maps are visually very appealing.

Once you know how to make these maps, it's fairly easy to make them, but there are many details that have to be exactly right, and those details are nowhere laid out in the documentation. Also, many of them are non-intuitive, and there are many places that one can go wrong.

Now that I've got it working in XL2002, I want to write up some step-by-step instructions, and make them available to everybody.

Do you have any suggestions on where I might post them? (They WILL be good instructions -- back in the Commodore 64 days, I wrote hundreds of how-to articles like this).
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks

Another detail...

When DataMap makes the dots on my style of map, it defaults to the Map Symbols font. This font is removed when one removes XL2000, and for best results, it should be restored to the system, though it isn't absolutely required.

It is MAPSYM.TTF, and is easily found on the (or at least on MY) Office 2000 CD.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can install the font - activate the Fonts control panel and select File/Install New Font... Browse to the font on your CD, and let it be copied to the Fonts folder.

Thanks

Done.

Thanks.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Lou,

Glad to see you got the issues sorted out, and good catch on the Font.

I suspect as far as the Lounge is concerned, probably the best forum to post a good set of instructuions about MSMap would be here in Excel with possibly a cross reference in General Office Solutions. I am sure it would be well appreciated.

It looks like Microsoft discontinued Microsoft Map in order to push MapPoint .

Andrew

Thanks

Benefits of Microsoft Map:

1) Has some truly neat features -- enough of them to impress people and be useful at a practical level.

2) Covers the world, especially the U.S., Canada, and Australia, plus the home of their former colonial masters.

3) At US $0, it seems to be about US $249 less expensive than other similar programs.

Drawbacks of Microsoft Map:

1) It may well be the world's hardest-to-figure-out entry-level program.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA