Thread: Boot Delay

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Boot Delay

Using Win98 SE

Recently I was attempting to improve my bootup speed and used the program "Start Manager" to reduce the number of programs that load at startup. Unfortunately I did not make a record of which ones I eliminated.

The result was an unusual boot up sequence with a long delay between the "Windows Starting" message and the time that Windows desktop appeared. I reinstalled Widows but that did not help.
    I ran a logged boot and find that there was a series of fonts that have the message "Load Fail" as shown below;

LoadStart = C:WINDOWSfontsMARLETT.TTF
    LoadFail = C:WINDOWSfontsMARLETT.TTF Failure code is 0016

All the failures seem to be TTF fonts, and none of the TTF fonts seem to have loaded although those with .FON loaded OK. I have tried several of the fonts that said they had "LoadFail" and they seem to still be useable. Also, all the fonts show in the fonts directory.

Can anybody direct me how to solve this problem.
    Thanks in advance
    Win 8, Firefox 16.0.2, Thunderbird 15.0.2

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Boot Delay

See if Method 2 in this article helps.

Banned Member
    Thanks

You may need to reinstall your video drivers. But first try this:
    You can try to restore the registry to restore a lost or changed setting.
    Start Windows in MS-DOS mode (press the Ctrl key as soon as your PC starts. This will get you the Bootup menu. Once the menu is up, choose Command prompt only)
    Type Scanreg /restore at the prompt { note the space after scanreg }
    You will get a screen where you can select which registry backup to use{ a time before the problem started}
    Choose your backup and press Restore
    When ready you'll be prompted to Restart your computer

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I believe is it quite typical for TTF font "LoadFailures". I understand that this looks like this may be a problem, but in reality I believe that happens all the time...

Something else is causing your delay.

Banned Member
    Thanks

R2: according to all the Internet searches I did with the exact same problem and error code, they all pointed to the video drivers. Or might I say the solutions did anyway.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Certainly could be. I just know this from the MSKB:

Font Failures
    After the first boot of Windows 95/98, the Bootlog.txt file may list many font load failures. This is a normal occurrence. When Font Manager searches the hard disk for fonts, it may find them in several folders. After it finds them, it records the information so that future attempts to locate a font proceed more quickly.

I also know that every time I create a bootlog.txt file it has many "Font Failures". The first time I saw it, I was concerned -- until everyone pointed out that that was normal...

From what I can find:

What is Failure Code 0016 and why is it appearing??
    16 Attempt to load a second instance of an .EXE file containing multiple writeable data segments.

In theory, if the font is 'called for' from several places, then you will get the "Failed" message on the second or more attempts. Or so they say...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I also wasted a lot of time troubleshooting the wrong thing after noticing these font load failures on one occassion. Unless you have noticed missing fonts I would ignore them.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I hope you can help me out, I seem to be moving backward rather than forward.
    I tried cowboy's sugestion to restore an older registry backup. Things started ok and I restored a backup which scanreg said was OK. Now attempts at booting normally come up with "Fatal error" in rcss. So I moved to my boot floppy and can get up "without CD support". However the system finds only a second hard drive rather than my normal boot drive, hence I cannot complete the boot. I tried other letters but cant find my normal boot drive.

Sugestions
    Win 8, Firefox 16.0.2, Thunderbird 15.0.2

Banned Member
    Thanks

Sorry that your having more problems. The two things that I had suggested were the only two that had solved that same problem for 4 or 5 others on different forums. Dang it. I hate to ask, but how for back did you go on the restore? Could there possibly be a better restore point? Also you might check your BIOS and see if it is recognizing your C: Drive, or what ever Drive your OS is on. Are you able to go into Safe Mode?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Can you paste the contents of your msdos.sys file?