Star Lounger
    Thanks

linked vs. embedded pictures (2000)

When I add a picture to my document (Insert, From File), I typically embed AND link it. If the file gets too long, I begin to wish I had linked them only. Is there any way to change the status of pictures already inserted? It seems you should be able to delete the "embedded" part of the command, while retaining the "linked" part. I mean, of course, easier than selecting each one, deleting it, and then repeating the whole insert operation again. Also vice versa: If at first you only link them, is there some easy way to come back later and embed them?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: linked vs. embedded pictures (2000)

The pictures are inserted via field codes; the INCLUDEPICTURE field code has a switch which specifies whether the picture should be a "link" or if the picture should be embedded into the document. To switch from an embedded file to a linked file, you'll need to edit these field codes.

If you hit Alt-F9 in your document, your pictures should appear as a field code with squiggly brackets which contain the following code...

{INCLUDEPICTURE [filename and path] * MERGEFORMAT }

You will simply add the switch the remove the embedding to this field code by typing a space then "d" after the word "MERGEFORMAT" as in....

{INCLUDEPICTURE [filename and path] * MERGEFORMAT d}.

To update the field code, you simply hit F9. You can do this one by one or select the entire document and then hit the F9 key.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: linked vs. embedded pictures (2000)

Hi Daryl:
    If you want to update the fields as Hubert as suggested, you can edit fields en masse by doing the following:
    1. Turn on field codes (Alt+F9)
    2. Type d somewhere in your document & then cut it to the clipboard. You'll see why soon.
    3. Using Wildcards
    Find: INCLUDEPICTURE*MERGEFORMAT
    Replace: ^& ^c
    4. Replace all

This will place the d switch at the end of each of your fields. Then you must select & update them. The reason that you must cut /d to the clipboard is that you cannot type "d" in the replace box. The back slash is used with wildcards in the replace box to have a special meaning when grouping expressions. Therefore, you must use the clipboard contents. In the event that you don't have the MERGEFORMAT switch at the end of your field, the field will end with bmp".
    Cheers,