Star Lounger
    Thanks

Template Saving with every doc save (Word 2K SR-1)

The lounge has always helped me in my highly uninformed ways, so I'm asking for a hand again. My wife has made several variations of her Normal template (which is probably at the origin of this problem) but when she opens a new document in old-fashioned Normal and then saves the doc the save takes an extraordinary amount of time with the message "Do you want to save changes to Normal Template?" coming up almost every time. When looking at the template list, I see that the Normal template weighs in today at 916 KB while all the others are at 20 to 30 KB. What is she doing wrong and how can we fix the problem? FYI, her version of Word is running on Windows ME.

Tony

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Template Saving with every doc save (Word 2K SR-1)

Does your wife have the Fast Saves option checked (Tools/Options/Save tab)? If so, she should turn it off.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, checked that as well as the save options -- docs are saving as docs but when she hits save I see down at the bottom of the Word screen the document is saving and then Normal template is being saved as well.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1. Perhaps an add-in causes Word to think that Normal.dot has changed.
    2. Normal.dot may be infected by a macro virus.

See Phil Rabichow's troubleshooting guide <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (Word 97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (Word 97/2000)<!/post> for steps you can take to find out what is causing the problem, and what to do to repair things.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans, this is very helpful. I'll work through the steps and see what I find. Many thanks for the help.

Tony