2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Form RecordSource From Exter Secured DB (Access 97)

Hi Everyone,

Both DB1 and DB2 are Access 97 DBs.

DB1 - Security is set. User has no permissions to use tables. Users access the tables by queries RWOP.

DB2 - Security is set. Different workgroup file.

From within DB2 using the - Dim dbe As PrivDBEngine - I access records from a table utilizing the users RWOP in DB1 by - Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset("EditRecords") and build a table and report from the records returned by the query.

While in DB2, sometimes there is a need to edit records in DB1. When the user is in DB1 the user uses "qry_EditRecords" to edit records.

My question - is it possible from within DB2 to use "qry_EditRecords" from DB1 as the recordsource for a form in DB2?

Me.RecordSource = rst and db!Forms![MyFormName].RecordSource = rst - Doesn't work. I get a Type Mismatch error. Access doesn't like .RecordSource.

Hope this make since.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form RecordSource From Exter Secured DB (Access 97)

I can't help you with your main question, but I can explain the Type Mismatch error message you get.

The RecordSource property of a form is of type String, not of type Recordset. It can be the name of a table, or the name of a query, or a SQL string. I doubt whether it can be the name of a query in another database, but I hope others will help you with that.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Forms in Access 97 do not have an exposed Recordset property, so there is no way to open a recordset in 97 and then pass it into the form, even if the data is from the current database..
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for responding Hans and Charlotte.

From your posts forms do not have a rst property but, "It can be the name of a table, or the name of a query, or a SQL string."

Any ideas on a naming convention as to how from the OnOpen Event of the form in DB2, I can let the form know that I am using the query from DB1.

I tried Me.RecordSource = dbs.QueryDefs("qry_EditRecords") Type mismatch.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Again, the RecordSource property is of type string - it must be the name of a table or query (or a SQL string), not a recordset, nor a tabledef, nor a querydef. You get a type mismatch because dbs.QueryDefs("qry_EditRecords") is of type DAO.QueryDef, not of type string.

The syntactically correct way would be Me.RecordSource = "qry_EditRecords", but this still won't work if qry_EditRecords is not a query in DB2. I think you will have to create a query in DB2 an use the name of that query. The query can return records from DB1, but it must "live" in DB2.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I wasn't being dense. Bad example.

Thanks again.