New Lounger
    Thanks

continuous tasks (msproject98)

Is there a way to enter a contineous task (such as projectmanagement) which duration depends on other task (eg 20% of overall projecttime) and which starts at the moment the first task of the project starts and ends at the same the last task of the project ends

Thanks

Re: continuous tasks (msproject98)

To add a Project management task as a task that starts when the first task starts and ends with the last task ends,

1. Add the task Called Project management
    2. Link the Project Management Task to the first task with a start to start relationship with zero lag.
    3. Also link the Project Management Task to the last task with a finish to finish relationship with zero lag.

The Project management task will now start when the first task starts and will end when the last task it is linked to ends.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Gary, thanks for your reply. Your solution was my first idea too and I already have tried that, but then I encounter a problem. Some details about what I do (dates as dd-mm):
    task 1 (first task): starts 17-03, ends 28-03 (as soon as possible, fixed units, effort driven) and is a summary task
    task 2 (last task): starts 15-04, ends 09-05 (as soon as possible, fixed duration (fixed), not effort driven (fixed)) and is a summary task
    Task to be linked: Project Management: duration 16 days (as soon as possible, fixed work, effort driven)

When I enter a start to start relationship between task 1 and PM, PM starts at 17-03 and ends at 07-04. No problem so far
    When I add a finish to finish relationship between task 2 and PM, suddenly PM starts at 15-04 and ends at 09-05! The duration is kept equal and start date has been shifted. I want start date to be kept equal and duration stretched.

Thanks

I seem to remember Project 98 not liking when linking to summary tasks. Do you have all of the service packs installed?

What is the relationship between Task1 and Task2?

In Task1 and Task2, what are the years associated with the dates.

Is the entire duration of the project 16 days?
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

About service packs: i don't know, because i'm working on a network and i'm no administrator
    The relationship between task 1 and task 2 is start to finish and the year is 2003.
    The entire duration of the project is longer then 16 days.

BTW the same thing happens with normal tasks. After inserting the start to start relationship (with task 1) projectmanagement start at the beginning of task 1, after inserting the finish to finish relationship (with task 2) projectmanagement finishes at the same time the task 2 finishes (but doesn't start at the same time as task 1 anymore). Like i wrote: the duration of projectmanagement has kept equal and start date has been adjusted (instead of keeping start and finish date equal and spreading the work evenly over the days between start and finish.

Thanks

... you are bringing back some memories on this (not to good ones...)

What you are tring to do is create a hammock (Task relationship is start to start and finish to finish) and MS Project does not like this. Primavera does this quite well but then that doesn't help any....

There are some workarounds to make this work. See the following links for more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;141733
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;142443

Try reading these articles and re-post if you have any questions.

- As to the Service Pack, when MS Project is open, select Help, About MS Project and you should see MS PROJECT SR-1 (Service Release 1) to see which service pack is installed.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Gary, many thanks. This was the information I was looking for and probably would never have found by myself. Although i have the impression it does not work quite optimal, i think it is the best i can get. I'm going to use the information and I'll try to make it work like i want. Maybe I'll have to repost later, tx again for now.

Thanks

... Glad I could help. Post back if you have any other questions.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)