2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Set default toolbars? (2000)

I want to configure Word 2000 so that EVERY time I open EVERY document, I get the reviewing toolbar to display. Conversely, I want to prevent the web toolbar from EVER displaying (specifically, after I open up some documents on some websites, the web toolbar suddenly appears, which I don't want, and it persists even in other documents until I close it manually). Nothing I've tried seems to work. Seems to me that there must be an easy way to do this, but I sure can't figure it out. I saved normal.dot with the toolbars I want visible, but that doesn't solve the problem. I figure I could write some sort of "OnOpen" macro that checks toolbars every time a doc opens, but the solution just can't be that complicated or kludgy . . . can it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Set default toolbars? (2000)

Information about the visibility of toolbars is stored in the Windows Registry; it should be "sticky" - that is, Word should remember which toolbars are visible between sessions, unless the powers that be have installed a policy that restores the toolbars to a default configuration every time you start Word or Windows.

To get rid of the Web toolbar, you can do the following - once *should* be enough:
    <UL><LI>Switch to the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11)
    <LI>Activate the Immediate window (Ctrl+G)
    <LI>Type <font face="Georgia">CommandBars("Web").Enabled = False</font face=georgia> and hit the Enter key. (Tip from How to stop the web toolbar from jumping up at you whenever you click on a page number in the table of contents on the Word MVP site.)
    <LI>Quit the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F4)[/list]If you have the Reviewing toolbar visible when you quit Word, it should be visible next time you start Word. If this is not the case, you may have to write a small macro to do it:
    <UL><LI>Select Tools/Macro/Macros...
    <LI>In the Macro Name box, type AutoExec
    <LI>Make sure that All documents and templates, or Normal.dot is selected in the "Macros in" box
    <LI>Click Create
    <LI>Type <font face="Georgia">CommandBars("Reviewing").Visible = True</font face=georgia> in the blank line between Sub AutoExec() and End Sub[/list]This should take effect the next time you start Word.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. My problem does not concern what happens *between* Word sessions, however. It's what happens during Word sessions. Depending on what document I open, regardless of Word's state when I open it, the reviewing toolbar will sometimes just disappear, or the web toolbar will appear and then persist. It's so dumb that I can't imagine that even Microsoft would call this, what's the phrase, "functionality by design." Anyhow, I haven't yet tested your web toolbar workaround, but because the problem occurs w/in sessions, I don't see how the reviewing toolbar problem can be solved with an autoexec macro. I think what I need is something to protect Word's toolbar status from being alterned, except by me.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The tip from the Word MVP site should prevent the Web toolbar from EVER appearing any more.

I don't know how to ensure that the Reviewing toolbar is *always* visible. I hope somebody else will jump in here to help you.

Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

If this is just for you, try putting the following code into your normal template. It will reset the toolbars everytime a window activates, which should pretty much give you what you want - this is a "big hammer" approach.

'------------------StartCode------------------
    Option Explicit

Public WithEvents appWord As Word.Application

Private Sub appWord_WindowActivate(ByVal Doc As Word.Document, ByVal Wn As Word.Window)
    CommandBars("Web").Enabled = False
    CommandBars("Reviewing").Visible = True
    End Sub

Private Sub Document_New()
    Set appWord = Me.Application
    End Sub

Private Sub Document_Open()
    Set appWord = Me.Application
    End Sub
    '------------------EndCode------------------
    [This is quick and dirty, since it relies on Word for garbage collection, which could cause problems - just make sure you reboot your machine periodically. Alternatively, rewrite to put it in an addin, which can control its close-down routine. - At least this won't get fired as often as the CommandBars_OnUpdate event, which seems to fire ALL the time!]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the macro info. I'll try to implement it. FWIW, after sending a bunch of nasty emails to our tech support staff (e.g., "Gee, it would be nice if you spent five minutes doing your job rather than goofing off all day; and don't we have a tech support contract with Microsoft so you could call and see what they have to say?"), I finally DID get one of them to call Microsoft. According to Microsoft (which may, of course, not know what's what anyway), AutoOpen and AutoNew macros with code like that you suggest is the ONLY way to do what I want. Toolbar configurations, according to MS, are "document-specific." Seems dumb to me, but then I don't get the big Microsoft stock options.