Lounger
    Thanks

Excel 2000 - Save as webpage converting hyperlinks (2000)

Hello,

We just converted to Office 2000 from 97, so we are learning about some of the differences. We used to keep a list of document hyperlinks using a hyperlink base that we would publish as an HTML page to our intranet. Since using 2000, when we publish as HTML, Excel replaces the hyperlink base in all of our hyperlinks with the current publication path, which causes all of the hyperlinks to break. I have tried searching Excel Help/Options and the other forums here, but no luck. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Excel 2000 - Save as webpage converting hyperlinks (2000)

Hi,
    It seems to do the same thing in 2002 too. The only thing I've found so far is manually going into the .htm file and changing the Hyperlink base back to what it should be, then saving it. I guess you could write some code to do this automatically if necessary. If you choose Save rather than Publish, it seems to keep its hyperlink base though. Curious.
    FWIW
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for the response, but I can't seem to "fix" it once it's broken. I tried your suggestion of Save rather than Publish, but that didn't keep the hyperlink base. I tried changing it manually in the html file--if I do this via Word, it tries replacing the base with a file:// reference, while if I do this via the html itself, the hyperlink base is correct, but all of the links within the html file are still broken. I'm not sure how to fix this, unless we always publish the HTML to the same folder and then create code that will replace the incorrect file location. Otherwise, we may need to stop using the hyperlink base feature!

Thanks,
    Caralee

Thanks

Hi,
    I guess the Save thing was a fix in 2002 then. Sorry about that.
    If you open the html file in Excel and choose File-Properties, can you reset the base there? (that works for me, but again in Excel 2002).
    HTH.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Lounger
    Thanks

Hello,

Sorry - I meant Excel in my previous post--when I change the hyperlink base when opening the html file in Excel, that is when Excel replaces my path with the file: reference, which is incorrect. Also, even if I set the hyperlink base in the properties, the links have all been "converted" to hard links that are all incorrect. I guess there doesn't seem to be a good way to fix this.

Thanks for your responses!