New Lounger
    Thanks

Connecting an XP machine to a WinME (WinXP)

I have a laptop with WinME on it and I want to transfer the major files to my new desktop with WinXP on it. Both have network cards and are set up to use a cable modem.

What is the best way to connect the two? It doesn't need to be permanent, just long enough to transfer the files.

I appreciate the help!

W Beckley
    Former Marine, cop and now a firefighter
    Everything I wanted to be as a kid!
    1*

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Connecting an XP machine to a WinME (WinXP)

If you don't want to go to the "trouble" of getting a hub and (even temporarily) P2P networking, you can always get yourself a crossover ethernet cable and connect the network cards directly.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I connected the two via a network cable (is that the same as a crossover cable?), but I couldn't figure out how to make the computers see each other. While tinkering around I was afraid of breaking the cable modem connection also.
    1*

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have no idea. You either need to ask whomever you got the cable from or know something about the color-coding to discern the answer to whether it's a crossover or not.

Thanks

A crossover cable has the RD/SD, (receive data/send data) leads transposed within the cable makeup, so that one machines send wire becomes the others' receive wire and vice versa. As such they are usually CLEARLY marked on the cable jacket. If you don't see this marking, I would think you have a regular network type extender cable. That isn't the type AL is talking about in his post.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

OK, once I get one of these cables, do the machines automatically see each other or do I need to set something up?
    1*

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In answer to your previous question, yes you MAY mess up one or more cable modem settings but if your cable internet setup is like most and uses DHCP, it shouldn't be too hard to put the TCP/IP settings back to what they are now.

You ought to do a little Googling if you have no networking experience! Here's a start. This Q&A link might be a start. Click on the answer link at the bottom of the page. If you are REALLY nervous about doing this, you ought to try to find a "friend" locally to help you.

Thanks

With a network adapter (NIC) installed in each machine and the crossover cable plugged into them, you should be able to run the Networking Wizard from within WInME to set you up.
    (the machine that has your cable modem will have it's own separate NIC)

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!