New Lounger
    Thanks

Office Developer Error (Office XP Developer)

After installing Office XP Developer on WIN2K SP2, OFFICE 2000 SR-1, I can't start Developer's Online Documentation. I get this pop-up: 'Unexpected critical error: can't start program'. Any ideas? BTW XP Developer is supposed to be backward compatible.

Thanks

Re: Office Developer Error (Office XP Developer)

I haven't installed the Office XP Developer, just the Office 2000 Developer. Is this something different than online help?

Did you remove Office 2000 first?

Did you install all of Office XP or just the developer tools part?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What do you mean "backwards compatible"? I think you'll find its backwards compatibility to be very limited. And what Developer's On-line Documentation are you talking about? I don't have any such item in my program menus for ODE 2000?
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

It is Online Help.
    I did not remove Office 2000. I need it - can't migrate to XP. I did not install Office XP; just the tools. I need the Access run-time that allows Access 2000 app distribution. ODE 2000 is no longer available. ODE XP developer tools are supposed to work with Office 2000.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I need the Access runtime that allows for distributing Access 2000 apps. ODE XP is the only ODE available and its tools are supposed to work with 2000. ODE XP has Online Documentation in its START menu.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Who told you ODE XP is supposed to work with Access 2000? I would be quite surprised if that was a flat statement from Microsoft. The developer versions I've worked with only work with their own version on Office - that has been one of the things they use to "gentley" coerce you into upgrading. I've not worked with ODE XP so can't comment on the Online Documentation.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

I believe the software house we got the product from told us. If it isn't B/C, is there any way to get a copy of ODE 2000? Would you know if ODE 2000 has a runtime for distributing ACCESS apps?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There probably are some compatibilities - for example I would expect that the Access executable that is distributed with the runtime package would be capable of opening an Access 2000 database, since Access 2002 can open and run an Access 2000 database, and in fact the 2000 .MDB file format is the default for 2002. However complete compatibility is very unlikely - I'm surprised the installer allowed you to put it on a system with only Office 2000. (The access runtime package has been included in Office Developer since at least Office 97, and I think was something very similar available for Office 4.3.) I would suggest you try upgrading to Access 2002 for your system only - though you might want to look at recent threads about the runtime situation - I have a vague recollection of a thread along these same lines several months ago. If you get further information on this issue, lots of people in the Access forum would like to know about it. Thanks.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know why you get the error. The On-line documentation is essentially MSDN but the document browser has changed. If you remove the On-line documentation, can you reinstall it from the developer tools CD? You are trying to run it from the program menu, right?
    Charlotte

Thanks

If you have another PC, I recommend a full Office XP Developer install there. You probably can build a package with the current runtime and the older database on that machine, since Access 2002 will (reluctantly?) work with an Access 2000-format database (or so I've read). But I think the shortcut of trying to do this all on one machine is going to create really serious problems for you. Hopefully the budget permits!

New Lounger
    Thanks

ODE XP worked once I installed OFFICE XP (distributed with ODE) over Office 2000. Haven't had a chance to play with ACCESS run-time yet. MS has succeeded into getting me into their 'activation' fold.

New Lounger
    Thanks

See post 238575. Any ideas on how to Post to several people at once?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is no need to post separate replies to several people. Just post one reply, and mention the names of the Loungers you want to thank, or ask something, or whatever, in the reply. Loungers tend to read an entire thread, not just replies directly to their own posts.

New Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by charlotte on 26-Mar-03 19:32. to activate link)</P>See post <!post=238575,238575>238575<!/post>. Any ideas on how to Post to several people at once??