Lounger
    Thanks

mail merge mergeformat (Word XP SP2)

Dear all

I'm having a problem with mail merge and hypenate. I use INCLUDETEXT and mergeformat to merge 2 different source document with data from a FileMaker database together. The source documents are in German and English. Depending on the language code from the database the end document has to use the right language for the address. Both source documents are hypenated.

When I merge the document in a new one everything is fine except that hypenation is not carried over.

Is this a Word flaw?

Any hint is highly appreciated.
    Edy Werder

Thanks

Re: mail merge mergeformat (Word XP SP2)

Do you think this is related to being in two languages or does the same thing happen with one language?

Could the hyphenation settings be different in the merge document from the sources, so Word is not doing the same thing (again) as in your original documents?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks,

I narrowed it down to one language and I also checked margin of the source document and merged one. Margin are identical and with just one language it doesn't hyphenate either.
    Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Edy

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Edy:
    I'm strickly guessing at this because I'm not familiar with using other languages or with using Word 2002. If you put the ! switch in the INCLUDETEXT field, which prevents field updates in the current document, does that make any difference? Also, if you auto hyphenate the main document, does that make a difference? I assume from what you've said that the data source has already been hyphenated.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Edy,

There are a couple of things that may (or not) have some relevance here.

Firstly, it seems that in Word, the "Tools/language/hyphenation/Automatically hyphenate document" setting gets over-ridden by the "Tools/language/set language/Do not check spelling or grammar" setting. (There is a statement to this effect in the "Automatically hyphenate" topic in WD 2000's Help. I haven't found an equivalent statement in 2002's Help but it seems to behave in the same way.)

Secondly, it seems that Word automatically sets the "Do not check spelling or grammar" setting for MERGEFIELDs. So, the result of a mergefield will have its "Do not check spelling or grammar" setting checked and this may be over-riding the "Automatically hyphenate document" setting. (Not for the whole of the document produced by the merge but for the results of MERGEFIELDS.)

I don't yet know of a solution for the MERGEFIELD behaviour but if someone knows of a fix for that, the same fix *might* work for the hyphenation problem.

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers.

Ed