Lounger
    Thanks

save turns into save as (version 5, word 2000 professional)

recently, with no changes i know of, when i click on 'save' in a document after adding new info, i get the save as screen instead. AND i cannot save as-error message that doc is open. i may have worked several hours with save functioning correctly, and then next time get save as. only way i have out of it is to close the document (takes a try or two) and then reopen. this is very inconvenient as these are docs that are accessed all thru the day updating data.

normal.dot has also started acting funny. i deleted all the 'old' normal dots after the first time. i am on a network, i have custom toolbars and macros. when word opens, i get some other toolbar, and cannot access my macros. if i shut down and REBOOT my toolbar and macros show up (sometimes more than one reboot needed).

any clues, ideas?? (my I.T. desk says 'well i guess the reboot does it'. not a satisfactory answer)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: save turns into save as (version 5, word 2000 professional)

Check the location of your user templates and workgroup templates. Though you may not have write permissions to your workgroup templates, someone else may. This can cause a problem if someone else changes the template while you are using it - if they have changed the toolbars, then you will feel the effects.
    The only way to protect this is to make the workgroup templates read-only for everyone. Any changes can then only be made when by copying across a new version of the workgroup template while no one else is using the original.
    To test this, try changing the location of the workgroup templates to an empty folder - see if you get the problem - if not, then hit the IT department and give them the solution
    John