New Lounger
    Thanks

Word macro (Word 2000)

We've a had a problem with users inadvertantly selecting blocks of type in Word and then deleting the type, without realizing it right away. Is it possible to write a macro, which would warn the users when they have selected more than X number of characters?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word macro (Word 2000)

The internal command for deleting text is EditClear. If you write a macro with that name, it will replace the internal command. It doesn't prevent the user from selecting a block and overtyping it with a single character. For that, uncheck the Overwrite Selection option in Tools/Options..., Edit tab.

Here is a macro:

Sub EditClear()
    If Selection.Characters.Count > 10 Then
    If MsgBox("You are about to delete a large amount of text. Are you sure?", _
    vbQuestion + vbYesNo) = vbNo Then Exit Sub
    End If
    Selection.Delete
    End Sub

Thanks

Re: Word macro (Word 2000)

> Is it possible to write a macro, which would warn the users when they have selected more than X number of characters?

Yes, but I think that would get annoying, don't you?

I tried to write an event procedure that would detect whether the number of characters in the document had just decreased by more than 10, ask the user if it was intentional and then Undo if it wasn't, but I could not find a reliable way to Undo the type-over. Part of the problem might be that each Undo triggered the procedure to run again before it was actually finished. Anyway, lots of crashes and document corruption resulted, so I'm not going to post the code. Maybe some other idea will occur to me...