New Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a way to collapse rows like in MS Project (Excel 2000)

I have a habit of creating basic Excel worksheets that end up looking like an outline. I'd like to know if there is a way to bring the +/- expand/collapse idea that I like so much in MS Project over to Excel. I want to be able to highlight a bunch of rows, implement the trick that I hope this post will yield, and end up with the plus sign next to the first line of the collection. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Is there a way to collapse rows like in MS Project (Excel 2000)

The only thing that comes to (my) mind is Subtotals. If you have a table, you can add subtotals on column(s) (Data menu, Subtotals option); the column(s) must be ordered for this to work. "Subtotals" do not necessarily sum data, you can also compute count, average, min, max, ...
    Excel will display outline buttons (+/-) for each subtotal level.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, Subtotals is functionality that I didn't think to try. It is effective, and short of any other alternative, I'll use it. However, my ideal solution would be one that left the plus sign somwhere other than in this new left margin area that I now see. I'd prefer that the plus sign show up perhaps just preceding the label of the "column" cell. I also could do without the extra line and text that shows up as "Grand Total". Any additional thoughts that you might have would be welcome.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You will also like the Group and Outline feature in Excel. Baarns Publishing has a dowloadable workbook which walks you through this feature. Looks like it is written for XL97, but I don't remember any changes in XL2K. HTH --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think that you can get Excel to place the +/- buttons elsewhere.
    You can remove the Grand Total if you wish, although the +/- for it won't disappear.