Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Error Message (Access 2002, XP Home)

In design view I am getting an error message when I attempt to create a new command button. Of course, it doesn't provide a clue as to exactly what DLL is missing. Any Ideas, or should I simply reinstall Access?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Error Message (Access 2002, XP Home)

I would try a repair first - it looks as if one or more of the "wizard" files may have gotten clobbered. If that doesn't fix it, then try a reinstall.
    Wendell

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I tried the Add-Ins bit, but it was empty of selections. So I uninstalled Access and then reinstalled. Now I'm in a real pickle, because Access won't even start to load because it can't find yet another DLL. It's looking for MS09.DLL. Any idea where this DLL is, and even if I find a copy, where do I install it?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sorry - I should have been more explicit. Go to Control Panel (not always easy to find in XP) and choose the option to Add/Remove Software. Then find Microsoft Office XP Professional or whatever version you have installed, highlight it and click the Add/Remove button. That will start the Office installer. When it comes up you have three options - the middle one is repair - choose that one and proceed. Trying to repair things by hand is a recipe for total disaster.
    Wendell

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell,

I wish it were that simple. When I bring up Control Panel and then the Add/Remove Windows Component option it first pops up with a "Windows XP Setup please wait" message box followed shortly thereafterit by a dialog box with a check list of ten or so Windows components, but there is no single XP option. The options are things like Accessories & Utilities, Fax Services, Internet Explorer, etc. There is no repair box to be checked. There is no general XP option, and I have no idea which of the options, if any, would install MS09.DLL.

I will post a message to the XP board to see if anyone has a clue about installing the missing DLL. (Assuming, of course, that it is part of the XP installation. As far as I know it could be part of the Access installation that is missing!) I sure wish that these missing DLL messages would include the path where the program is expecting to find it.

If you have any further suggestions I would welcome them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You shouldn't be using the Add/Remove Windows component, you should be clicking the button on the top of the task bar that says Add or Remove Programs. That will start the Office installer.
    Wendell

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Are you using XP? There is no option at the top of the task bar that says "Add/Remove Programs". However, below the "Pick a Category" is a link that says "Add or Remove Programs". When I click on that link another dialog box comes up with a task bar on the left that has four options: Change or Remove Programs, Add New Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, Set Program Access and Defaults.

I've tried the 1st and 3rd of those options, but the Add/Remove list that they pop up doesn't have either an XP selection or an Office selection as you indicate. It lists individual office programs, one of which is Access. I tried clicking on the Access "change" and it brought up an installation box that had a Repair Access option (along with an option for placing a shortcut in the Start Programs area). It finished the repair and said everything was OK. However, I still have the missing DLL problem and there was no Access shortcut installed in the Start Programs area.

Something really weird is going on here.

P.S. I found Mso9.DLL in Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office. It is a huge (5+mb) file. Now the question is why can't Access 2002 find it?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

One more odd thing. I originally purchased and installed Access 2002 as a stand alone program (not part of an Office Suite) under W98. As I recall the installation left a shortcut on the desktop and an entry in the Start | Programs menu. It remained this way when I upgraded to XP Home. But only recently did it start hanging up with the missing DLL problem. I don't know what I've done to the system that could cause this other than install the recommended XP upgrades.

Also, upon removing and reinstalling Access it no longer automatically put a short cut on the desktop or produce an entry in the Start Programs menu.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think the fog is starting to clear. For one thing, Windows XP upgrades often have interesting garbage left in the registry, so that may have prompted your original problem where it couldn't find the Wizard DLL. And I assumed you had a full install of Office, not just a stand-alone. My choice of the phrase "task bar" was probably misleading - on my XP-Home system when you choose the Add or Remove Software option in Control panel, it brings up a dialog box with an Outlook style bar on the left side, and one of those options was Add or Remove software. Unfortunately I don't know whether you get the full Installer with AccessXP. But at this point it sounds as if things are not registered correctly and that something went amok with the reinstall. I guess I would try uninstalling and reinstalling once more, though I'm not real optimistic that will solve the problem. I think you will probably need to do a clean-up of the registry - check out KB Article 290301 - OFFXP: Windows Installer CleanUp Utility after you have done a complete remove of Access 2002. With a bit of luck that might do the trick.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The dll being referenced is the Office 2000 library, not Office XP. You've got something scrambled somewhere.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Add/Remove programs is on the control panel, wherever it may appear on toolbars. The Detect and Repair option is on the help menu in the application itself. It sounds a lot to me like you have a partial installation and it's hanging things up. WinXP should be using version 2 of the windows installer, but Office 2000 came with version 1, which had a lot of problems with incomplete installations. You may have mangled this thing so badly that only a complete uninstall followed by a reboot and then a new install will clean it up.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You are correct. For a while I was assuming that the dll was part of XP, but I found it in the Microsoft Office/Office folder, so it obviously came with my Small Office Suite of programs (which, by the way, did not include Access - I bought Access 2002 separately and installed it after Office 2000).

I have checked, and my XP Home has version 2 of the Windows Installer. But removing and reinstalling Access 2002 doesn't fix the problem. I did inspect the registry and found many left overs from the previous installation such as references to the last several data bases I had been working on. So it seems plain to me that the registry is full of junk, and perhaps I need to consider a complete disk reformat and reinstallation. The very thought brings shudders, but I suppose a clean install is probably a good idea.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Before you do a reinstall you might try using System Restore. Restoring to an earlier date, before the problem started. It is very easy to do. If you don't know how, let us know.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Before you try Cowboy's solution, make sure you have a fairly recent backup of the registry - otherwise you may loose more than you gain. If however, you did your XP Home upgrade recently, you may not loose too much.
    Wendell