Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2000 Stopped sending mail (Outlook 2000)

I have a mail account in Outlook 2000 that I have set up to send emails only. The email address acts as an alias, and up until about a week ago, worked perfectly every time. Now, I get an error message saying, among other things, "Server response: 553, sorry that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)...error number ox800ccc79", and of course, it won't send my emails. I have 5 emails to be sent through that mail account now, and they're all different and unrelated email addresses.

Can anyone offer any help with this one?

Thanks

Re: Outlook 2000 Stopped sending mail (Outlook 2000)

Contact the ISP. If no messages will send via that server, they may have instituted security on the SMTP server that requires you to authenticate before using it.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for this. It made me realise something, which is that not long ago, I started using another dialup connection. anyway, I used the old connection just now, and my mail sent just fine. Which means the problem is with the new connection. But I have no idea where or why. The only thing I can see different is that in the TCP/IP properties box, where it gives a choice between Obtain DNS server addresses automatically, and Use the following DNS server address, my new dialup account has it checked to use a specific DNS server, whereas the old dialup account (which sends the mail) just has obtain DNS server addresses automatically. Could this be causing it? (Actually, I just tried changing this setting to Obtain automatically..., disconnected, then reconnected, and tried again, and it still didn't work, so I'm guessing this wouldn't be the problem...) I'm not too knowledgable about these things...

Thanks

Thanks

If you are using a new ISP, one of two things may be happening: (1) NewISP is blocking your use of the mail server of OldISP, or (2) OldISP is blocking your use of its mail server because it can't authenticate you as a subscriber with rights to relay through its server.

Do you need to relay through the mail server of OldISP?

Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know. If I didn't need to relay through OldISP server, how would I set it up differently? Or is there a way to find out whether it's number (1) or (2)? I'd say it's probably number (2).

Thanks

If you change the outgoing mail server from OldISP's to NewISP's SMTP server name, and that works, then you've found the problem. To keep using the OldISP's SMTP server, call them or visit their tech support. They might have a way to enter authenticating information so that you can use that server (if you want to). But you might not need to bother.

Lounger
    Thanks

I changed the outgoing mail server from OldISP's to NewISP's SMTP server name, and it seems to work! Thanks heaps for walking me through this. I'll call it cae closed unless something weird happens. Thanks again...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just as background this message comes up because OldISP has restricted access to its SMTP services. You now have to authenticate against their domain or be manually included in a list.

Way back when, before all the SPAM and Denial problems, a person could point to just about any SMTP server. But that became a common technique for spammers and a tool in setting up denial of service attacks.