New Lounger
    Thanks

Scheduling Meetings without using re-curring tasks (Project 2002 10.0.20

I am trying to schedule 5 hours of time a week for my teams set meetings. I do not want to use re-curring tasks. I recorded the following macro to set the time for one week and then copy that time out 52 weeks. I have been trying to find a way to make a smarter macro, but have not been successful. I would like to generate code that would loop through the dates without me having to specify the dates for all 52 weeks.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

- Randy

MACRO.....

' The code below sets everyone for 5 hours of meetings for the week specified in the command.

ActiveProject.Tasks.UniqueID(157).Assignments.Uniq ueID(2098211).TimeScaleData(StartDate:="3/9/03 8:00 AM", EndDate:="3/9/03 5:00 PM", Type:=8, TimeScaleUnit:=4, Count:=7).Item(1).Value = "5"
    ActiveProject.Tasks.UniqueID(157).Assignments.Uniq ueID(2098212).TimeScaleData(StartDate:="3/9/03 8:00 AM", EndDate:="3/9/03 5:00 PM", Type:=8, TimeScaleUnit:=4, Count:=7).Item(1).Value = "5"
    ActiveProject.Tasks.UniqueID(157).Assignments.Uniq ueID(2098213).TimeScaleData(StartDate:="3/9/03 8:00 AM", EndDate:="3/9/03 5:00 PM", Type:=8, TimeScaleUnit:=4, Count:=7).Item(1).Value = "5"
    ActiveProject.Tasks.UniqueID(157).Assignments.Uniq ueID(2098214).TimeScaleData(StartDate:="3/9/03 8:00 AM", EndDate:="3/9/03 5:00 PM", Type:=8, TimeScaleUnit:=4, Count:=7).Item(1).Value = "5"
    ActiveProject.Tasks.UniqueID(157).Assignments.Uniq ueID(2098215).TimeScaleData(StartDate:="3/9/03 8:00 AM", EndDate:="3/9/03 5:00 PM", Type:=8, TimeScaleUnit:=4, Count:=7).Item(1).Value = "5"
    ActiveProject.Tasks.UniqueID(157).Assignments.Uniq ueID(2098216).TimeScaleData(StartDate:="3/9/03 8:00 AM", EndDate:="3/9/03 5:00 PM", Type:=8, TimeScaleUnit:=4, Count:=7).Item(1).Value = "5"
    ActiveProject.Tasks.UniqueID(157).Assignments.Uniq ueID(2098217).TimeScaleData(StartDate:="3/9/03 8:00 AM", EndDate:="3/9/03 5:00 PM", Type:=8, TimeScaleUnit:=4, Count:=7).Item(1).Value = "5"

' This code copies the week that was just set in the code about and pastes it to the next 52 weeks

SelectTimescaleRange Row:=3, StartTime:="Sun 3/9/03", Width:=1, Height:=7
    EditCopy
    SelectTimescaleRange Row:=3, StartTime:="Sun 3/16/03", Width:=1, Height:=1
    EditPaste
    SelectTimescaleRange Row:=3, StartTime:="Sun 3/23/03", Width:=1, Height:=1
    EditPaste
    SelectTimescaleRange Row:=3, StartTime:="Sun 3/30/03", Width:=1, Height:=1
    EditPaste

' There are additional entries similar to the ones above that would cover the 52 weeks.

Thanks

Re: Scheduling Meetings without using re-curring tasks (Project 2002 10.

Randy,

In looking at what you are trying to do, are you trying to schedule five hours on one day of the week, broken out over several days, or other - and I assume you are doing this on a task, not assigning work to resources.

Based on your post, you are scheduling 5 hours of meetings each week on ONE task for the next 52 weeks. The 5 hours of meetings is all on the same day (assume Friday). Is this correct?

- You also say you do not want to use recurring tasks. Why?
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm trying to schedule 1 hour a day, just to spread this out over the week. The important thing is the 5 hours, how it is distributed for this exercise does not really matter.

As to why I do not want to use recurring tasks, well it may be lame, but I only want my associates to worry about 1 task not 52. Plus I do not want to have to worry about completing the task etc if they forget to 0 out remaining work. I just do not like using them if I can figure out a way around it.

Thanks!
    Randy

Thanks

Randy,

Using a recurring task is probably the best way to do this. You can collapse the task so only the top level is shown. As for updating the task, how are you statusing the schedule? You could have Project status / update that task automatically based on the date so you wouldn't have to do the update manually.

You might also try creating a new calendar with working times of one hour per day and assign that to the task (probably will cause headaches with the duration if the task is effort driven) or see if you can create a resource group that uses this calendar on this task. I haven't had time to experiment with this.

... Or do you really want to go back to the original route you questioned?

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

I can't thank you enough for your help. I have found a simpler approach to accomplish my original goal, and it even works. I would have liked to figure out how to do what I was attempting, but at this point is isn't worth our time to figure it out.

Thanks Again!

Randy

Thanks

Randy,

Could you post how you solved your issue so others can benefit from what you did. (Me included)

Thanks.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,
    Below you will find the macro used to accomplish my goal. The goal if you remember was to schedule 5 hours (12.5% of their work week) a week ongoing out as far as I may want, without using recurring tasks. I chose 1 year which is where the 260 hours of remaining work came from. Each week after the team posts there current actuals, I run this macro and it rolls the 5 hours a week out one more week, giving a continuous flowing allocation without worrying about the problems with re-curring tasks.

Thanks again for you help.
    - Randy

Sub SetMeetingsEmail()
    ' Macro Macro2
    ' Macro Recorded Fri 3/14/03 by CIRCUITCITYWebsterR.
    SelectTaskField Row:=3, Column:="Remaining Work", rowrelative:=0
    SetResourceField Field:="Remaining Work", Value:="0"
    SelectRow Row:=1
    SetResourceField Field:="Remaining Work", Value:="0"
    SelectTaskField Row:=3, Column:="Assignment Units", rowrelative:=0
    SetResourceField Field:="Assignment Units", Value:="12.5"
    SelectTaskField Row:=3, Column:="Remaining Work", rowrelative:=0
    SetResourceField Field:="Remaining Work", Value:="260"
    SetResourceField Field:="Remaining Work", Value:="260"
    SelectTaskField Row:=3, Column:="Assignment Units", rowrelative:=0

Thanks

Randy,

Thanks for posting your solution. I am going to give it a try.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)