Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table Headings Not Always Visible in PDFs (Word 2000 / Acrobat 5)

Perhaps someone in this forum has some insight into what I realize is an Acrobat Distiller problem.

My Word 2000 document(s) have many tables. After converting the documents to PDFs (required by contract), some --but not all-- column headings are not visible in the PDF. In tables that span several pages, the invisible heading can appear/disappear from page to page. The invisible item can be in any column.

I've noticed that as a document is loading in Acrobat Viewer, I see the "missing" text for an instant before it is somehow masked. Even when not visible, I can select the text with the Acrobat "select text" tool.

After eliminating dozens of variables, I've found that the problem does not occur if I delete the contents of my header! Of course, that's not a viable workaround. Nothing in the header is linked to anything on the page.

Has anyone witnessed a similar phenomenon? Any suggestions? (I don't expect any help from Adobe in the required timeframe.) If anyone is interested, I can send examples.

Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table Headings Not Always Visible in PDFs (Word 2000 / Acrobat 5)

I would love to see an example! Send along if you can...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response to my query about the PDF problem. Unfortunately, the zip of files to illustrate the situation is 569K, so I can't attach it here. If you care to provide an email address I'll send it to you offline. Thanks for your interest in the puzzle!

Larry Angert

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is the text being set to white or a white box being placed over the top of it?

It may be related to transparent objects which are not supported in Acrobat versions earlier than 5. Can you check your distiller settings to make sure that you are creating Acrobat 5 version pdfs.

Does PDFWriter give the same result?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Acrobat 5 job options are set at "Acrobat 5.0 (PDF 1.4)". I'm set to use Acrobat Distiller as the default "printer". (I've tried other options for both settings with no effect on the problem.)

My table header rows are shaded. I've found that if I remove the shading completely, the problem doesn't occur (at least not in the test document; I haven't check all the "real" docs). Any degree of shading causes the problem (even "white" shading); only the "No Fill" shading option avoids the problem.

In the resulting PDF, the text is apparently overwritten by a box the same color as the header row fill color (be that white, gray, etc.)

I stumbled on a very strange linkage to the page heading. Attached is a screen capture of an example. Using the Acrobat text selection tool, I clicked on the word "reference" in a field reference located in the header. Many other words in the header, the masked word in the table's column 2 heading, and other text farther down in the table were all highlighted. Somehow, Acrobat is linking all these objects...but I fail to see any possible connection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I determined that when I use Acrobat version 4 (rather than version 5), the problem goes away.

I reported the issue to Adobe as a bug.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you tried printing to a Postscript file other than Distiller and then letting the distiller at that .ps file? Another possibility is that Word has a print option called "Print Postscript over text" - I would make sure that is turned off.

I would also recommend a search on some of the Acrobat user sites such as http://forum.planetpdf.com/webboard/...planetpdfforum

If you can't solve the actual problem - perhaps a quick fix solution can suffice after the acrobat file is created. You can select the grey box in Acrobat (object select tool) and send it to the back which should put it behind the text.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew, thanks for the excellent suggestions. When the smoke clears here, I'll try each of them. I've already confirmed that the "Print Postscript over text" option was not selected (it apparently only relates to documents converted from Macintosh format, though). I'll let you know whether I'm able to manipulate the overlying boxes that obscure the text.

Thanks for the help.