Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changes to relationships after splitting database (Access 2000, SP1)

I just split a database that we have been developing, and I've discovered (of course) that there were some relationships that needed be added. What do I need to do now?

Brian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changes to relationships after splitting database (Access 2000, SP1)

Create the relationships in the back end database that contains the tables. The front end database (with the queries, forms, ... and links to the tables in the back end) will "see" the changes automatically.

If this is not what you mean, please explain in more detail what you want to know.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Relationships (and referrential integrity if you use it - recommended) needs to be set in the back-end where the tables reside. I believe if you do it with the Database Splitter wizard, it will do it for you if you have relationships already established - but it's been long enought since I used it I can't swear it works that way.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I split the database before I realized the implications. And, having never used a split database, I was unfamiliar with exactly what happens. Needless to say, it was an eye-opener. I'll modify the back end links, and be sure to turn on referrential integrity. Thanks for the quick update.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

We all learn something every day - we have a tutorial on our website about splitting databases, and your post made we realize we hadn't covered that aspect of the process. Needless to say, we will be updating it shortly. Thanks to you for raising the issue.
    Wendell