New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 6.0 Toolbars changes not sticking (6.0)

I hve a problem with Internet explorer 6.0 on my P3 1.4Ghz machine. All of a sudden, every time I open the program I have the file toolbar , address line toolbar and links tooblar, but don't have the standard toolbar - the most important. I add it every time and tell it to lock toolbars, but it never sticks. HOw do I fix this problem.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE 6.0 Toolbars changes not sticking (6.0)

Matnj--
    Line 3 on the left is an automatic regedit or VBS (take your choice) that might well restore your original IE6 standard toolbar. If it doesn't, it won't hurt anything. The older fixes have been tested on many different machines since the XP Launch. Restore Missing Toolbars. Newer tweaks and fixes are added here all the time. If it doesn't, just do a lounge search on "repair IE"--there are a lot of threads with the steps to take which may restore your full bar.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried it. The system still changes only 1 time and the settings don't stick. Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm almost ready to gut this machine and reformat it - I can't deal with making the changes every time I run the IE 6.0 - it drives me nuts.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Matnj--

There are a number of other ways to fix files in IE that might solve this problem. That one was quick and easy.They are worth a try. This is one thread with links.

I'd start with add/remove; then move onto System File Checker, then you could try the other more involved repairs like working with the ie.inf file, additional regedits in the MSKB articles on IE repair, or a number of other good IE fixes that some of the mods have posted over the last two years that may work for you. SFC System File Checker as you probably know goes to the Dllcache folder and repopulates the folder if the contents become damaged or unusable--it's protected and provides file backup for IE. You may have to supply the XP CD to get these files, and tweak group policy editor if it balks at the CD. The ways to do that are here:
    318378 How to Repair or Reinstall IE. I find it works best to run sfc /purgcache first and then sfc /scannow. None of these take long at all, and they are relatively simple. I'd also run Chkdsk /r which is the most comprehensive switch for the road. Go down the list and then you may not have to wipe and load or worry about repairs "sticking."

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have a problem with Internet explorer 6.0 on my P3 1.4Ghz machine. All of a sudden, every time I open the program I have the file toolbar , address line toolbar and links tooblar, but don't have the standard toolbar - the most important. I add it every time and tell it to lock toolbars, but it never sticks. HOw do I fix this problem. I forgot to say in the previous messages I am running Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222A