2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Incompatibility with Earlier Versions of PPT? (2002)

Hi there,

Does anyone know if there is an incompatibity issue of PPT2002 presentations with earlier versions of powerpoint. I have sent a presentation to a client and he cannot open the document (I believe he is using 97 version).
    I sent it password protected (and gave him the password) ...would this be creating any problems?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Incompatibility with Earlier Versions of PPT? (2002)

Identified this problem as being caused by password.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Glad you got that figured out, Claude.

Just to add some information, no previous versions of PPT can open password protected PPT 2002 files. This is because, well, previous versions of PPT don't even *know* what passwording *is*! (How's that for anthropomorphization?) When users of previous versions attempt to open a passworded file, they'll actually get an error message that states: "PPT can't read <path> <filename>." This is similar to the type of message one would receive when attempting to open a corrupt file, so if you are using an earlier version of PPT and see this kind of error, it's worth checking to make sure that the presentation wasn't passworded.

Interestingly enough, when I was testing this to remind myself exactly what error I'd receive when trying to open a passworded presentation, I got the followng in PPT 97: "Memory is nearly full. You should save your work and close any other open presentations." Funny, because PPT 97 will allow me to open a non-passworded presentation, even if I don't shut down any other programs or presentations. And I've not seen this error before when attempting this exercise. (I suppose it could be related to betaware, though.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For what its worth I have seen this problem with any password protected document attached, even with the recipient knowing the password. This is in relation to Word 2000 and Excel 2000 and 97.