New Lounger
    Thanks

Controlling Word Startup (2002 SP2)

I'm trying to control how Word starts up and would be grateful for any advice. I want Word to launch at Windows startup, to save the blank document, and then to switch to full screen view. I recorded a macro to do this, and then tried to create a desktop shortcut with a switch that ran the macro (/mmacroname). The plan was to drop the shortcut into my Startup folder. However, although the macro works okay, WinXP won't let me add a switch when I create a shortcut -- just keeps telling me that the target is invalid, same thing happens when I try to type it into the address box on the taskbar. I've never used switches before so maybe I'm doing something wrong..? Is there a better way of doing this? Thank you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Controlling Word Startup (2002 SP2)

I assume that the macro you recorded is in Normal.dot

In Word, select Tools/Macro/Macros.
    Select the name of your macro in the list, then click Edit.
    Change the name of the macro to AutoExec. The first line should now read Sub AutoExec().

Next time you start Word, this macro will be run automatically.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Controlling Word Startup (2002 SP2)

Just to follow up on what Hans mentioned. The first part--starting Word when Windows starts should be accomplished separately without a macro. Just put a shortcut to Word, no switches, in the startup folder. Then the AutoExec macro only needs to do 2 things: save your document & switch to full screen.

I'm not a VBA expert, but I think you'll have trouble recording these steps. If you record saving a document, the macro will want to give the same name to each document when it's run. So you will end up saving a blank document over the last one you created, unless you rename it every time. You can't simply record a macro to leave the File SaveAs dialog box open AND switch to full screen.