5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't open OLE (6)

I am running a Windows 2000 PC at work, but I can't open up OLE. Right away it says "MSIMN.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows".

I haven't been able to get into it for months. I even tried downloading an update and it looked like it installed fine, but it still won't open.

Any clues here?

--KZ

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't open OLE (6)

See Microsoft KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258034

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That appeared like it should work, but none of the .dbx files were read-only; and I deleted the Identities section in regedit and still nothing.
    I even (on my own) tried deleting all of the dbx files on my computer and it still wouldn't even start.

How can I get OLE to open? Any other clues?

--KZ

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DenGar on 17-Mar-03 21:04. Edited to correct a word about the settings to be restored.)</P>The MS KB article, I just noted, doesn't say anything about saving your mail account information. It should, because deleting the Identities key wipes your Internet Mail account information. You need to restore it again--mail, address, and account settings. If you've done that, then I'm not sure what to do.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was not using OLE as my current settings for mail and had no addresses in OLE. I don't mind totally wiping it out restarting with OLE. I do use OL2000 as my main mail client.

About the time this started was when we changed domian logins at our company. A new server domain. I noticed that I had two Identitites or areas where the inbox, folders, etc were. I tried deleting the old settings that referred to the old domain, but that didn't do anything.

Any body have any further suggestions?

--KZ

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hey Kenneth--

After you have tried the KB above, you can go onto try to run SFC--System File Checker or the fixes that may restore your files in 31838 How to Reinstall and Repair IE and OE in Windows XP and the companion 263499 Prompted for CD- ROM When You Run System File Checker When the Correct CD-ROM is Already in the Drive.

I always get the SFC "balking--doesn't want to run with the XP CD in" problem--that is SFC refuses to run and keeps prompting me for the CD when it's in, and another clean installation of the OS does not change this for me--in XP prior to and after adding SP-1.

I don't know how frequently others experience problems making SFC run. But I found that when I check in the snap-in, or the MMC via any route, I always find it is set the way the KB wants it set with the "Restrict CD-Rom access" security setting already on "disable." The go-around I have found will make SFC run and often fix an IE corruption or a number of component problems by replacing the file from DLLcache is to open Windows Explorer, go to the XP CD-ROM entry, and then click on the I-386 folder. No MSKB tells you to do this, but it works every time. I don't know how many others have problems running SFC, but I'd like to because until I figured out the go-around I could never run it and it helps fix IE problems.

Dennis--Thanks for that OE mimsn.exe Error Message KB 258034--I had the same problem about a year ago.

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for responding...

Both of those articles refer to Windows XP. However, I am running Windows 2000.
    I'll check on the SFC and see what that produces though.

--KZ

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Isn't the SFC only for Windows 98? I did find that file in W2k, but when I click on it, nothing happens.

--KZ

Thanks

Please read this M$KB article.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Kenneth--

1) Go to your dos prompt and type in "sfc /purgecache" without the quotes. It should run quickly.
    2) Then type in "sfc /scannow" without quotes, put in your Win 2K CD-ROM, open up Windows Explorer, click on and expand the CD-ROM, click on the I-386 folder and this should run SFC and fix you.

SFC will work for 98, NT, Win 2K, XP, and XPSP1, and Windows Server 2003. Bruce linked you to the Win 2K SFC KB to let you know you can use it just fine.

I have found though, that the regedits and instructions to reinstall the ie.inf folder just don't work much of the time, and SFC does really well and it makes sense that it would. But there is a glitch that it freezes or won't run (even with a few clean installs) unless you open up Windows Explorer and navigate to the I386 file where the DLLCache file lives, and click on it. That allows the tool to pull the needed files from the CD and then it runs and people have complained on the lounge that they don't know if it ran or not, but if you go to Event Viewer, you will get the entry it ran successfully. MS$ could have popped up a box that told you but they don't--but after you run it go to Event Viewer in Administrative Tools in the Control Panel and an entry will tell you it ran successfully. If you can make it run, I think you will have your OLE back. It has fixed some big problems for me.

SMBP