Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

cannot move or copy this item to this location

I am (thanks Loungers!) in the habit of right-clicking on a file and choosing SendTo (thanks!) and nominating my C:___Spare (trash) folder as a destination. Files get moved to a staging house; after a few days of second thoughts I may choose to delete them.

Occasionaly I get this pop-up message box: "You cannot move or copy this item to this location. Do you want to create a shortcut to the item instead?"

Why should some files NOT be movable? It is quite Ok to drag-and-drop them; it is quite OK to right-click delete them......

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: cannot move or copy this item to this location

What kind of files are these that you are having this problem?

Also where are they located at (what folder path) ?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Dave, the latest problem occurred less than a week ago and is fresh in my memory. I will, of course, pay more attention in the future.

I am in the habit of assembling material in c:Temp prior to copying it to floppy, prior to taking it as a demonstration to a client.

I usually copy a set of templates, ReadMe's etc to c:temp and then use PKZIP25 to produce a ZIP file. I delete all but the single ZIP file and then drag a copy of PKZIP25.EXE to the c:temp. The two files in c:Temp are then dragged to an empty floppy, and I scandisk, and sometimes defrag, the floppy.

Once the floppy has passed the test (OK: I do two floppies, just in case!) I attempt to send the two files (*.ZIP and PKZIP25.EXE) to my c:___Spare folder. using the right-click SendTo technique.

Here's the puzzle (for me): I do this often enough that if it failed every time, for example on trying to SendTo from c:Temp to c:___Spare, I'd smell a rat and try to work out why it failed every time. It does not fail every time. (OK, if it did, even if I couldn't be bothered trying to track down the cause, I'd switch to another set of folders, but the plan outlined above is one that has worked for years; it is part of my habit-set). I use the right-click SendTo throughout the day, to archive entire folders, to archive Ctrl-A selected files; I find the right-click SendTo one of the greatest time-savers. My SendTo targets include Notepad.exe and the batch file which loads Word97.

If the Right-click SendTo failed on obviously potential problems, such as Word's ~*.TMP, which occasionaly get locked until the next re-boot, I'd be aware of that. Happens often enough.

C:TEMP is my target for temporary files including the VBE msd stuff, cache etc. However, most times that I'm performing the SendTo exercise is last thing at night (preparing for the morning) or first thing in the morning (panic!), and I feel that I have nothing else going on at that time, no other apps such as a broswer or Word/VBE to interfere. Indeed, I've usually finished with Word/VBE, cleaned and saved my template one last time, and exited from Word, or any other window that might conflict.
    <pre>TEMP=C:temp
    TMP=c:temp
    </pre>

I'm going to monitor my right-click SendTo from now on, and will report back here with the next occurrence.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Being that c:temp is a system folder, the system may think that the folders/files are still in use.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> c:temp is a system folder,

Good thinking. Of course, when it happens my frustration level is too high to consider the facts (grin)

I'll monitor that next time it happens