New Lounger
    Thanks

Irregular network delays

I've read all the other threads on issues that are similar to my problemette and tried most of the solutions offered, but to no effect. So here goes with my first post to Woody's Lounge (excellent chap that Woody, I met him in Phuket... but that's another story and this could be a long post)

Setup is as follows, followed by the problem. Two machines: one I shall call "Home" which is a home-built XP Pro SP1 machine with a Linksys 10/100 NIC. Second machine is a work provided laptop, called "Laptop", which is a Compaq Evo with Win2k SP2 with an Intel Pro 100 adapter. I network these two beasties when working at home via a Netgear DG814 4-port 100 switch/adsl modem (with the latest set of drivers). Both machines access the net over this and use a printer hanging off a JetDirect connected to the switch. When in the office Laptop joins a domain in in W2k Server environment. "Home" does not join the same domain and it never will. So the two are not in the same workgroup/domain and won't ever be, but that doesn't stop the network from allowing me to do what I do. Usage of the network is largely for working on files on Laptop using Home's screen and k/b and also backing up Laptop back to Home. Also the network is used for a VPN from Laptop to Lotus Notes in the office over ADSL, internet use for Home and printing via the JetDirect. Normally everythings works perfectly and I love it, BUT The problem........

Every now and again when trying to open a folder or file (even tiny files and folders) on Laptop from Home, I get a c.20 second delay as if it were renogotiating something, or just trying to find the contents. At other times the response is instantaneous. Usually the delay occurs if I have not accessed Laptop from Home for a while which makes me think that "something" is almost switching off the connection and it has to reopen it again. I don't know. It used to work absolutely perfectly all the time until Laptop was modified at work to use a domain in the W2k Server environment rather than Netware, which happened at around the same time that I upgrade from XP Home to Pro. One of these may be related to the problem but I can't be sure of exactly when the problem first appeared.

The delays do not coincide with Notes activity over the ADSL (obviously sometimes they do but I've checked and it's not a common factor) neither do they coincide with traffic going to the printer or over the internet from Home. Both machines are TCP/IP only and that can not be changed on Laptop. In fact, I would be daft to risk making fundamental changes to anything network related on Laptop since it belongs to my employers and they get very uptight indeed about "unauthorised modifications".

As I said, I've tried most of the fixes suggested for similar problems elsewhere in the Lounge. "Automatically check for network files etc etc" is unchecked on Home; QoS is not configured on Home so is not limiting bandwidth; cables have been checked recently; normal performance is very very fast so I suspect this is not a hardware issue. I do not normally see errors on a Netstat reports; pings are <1ms in all directions and everything appears normal _most_ of the time.

I'm sure I havn't answered all the questions in the above, but I would very much appreciate some views since it can be infuriating at times!! Thanks in advance

Bill

I

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Irregular network delays

How about "allow computer to turn off this device to save power?" in the nic properties?

kip

Thanks

I'm wondering if it is a browser problem. By which I mean the browser that keeps a list of the available computers on the network. It would fit with your history. That being said - I don't have any thoughts currently on a solution.

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thx for the reply. I don't have that option on "Home", I have switched it off on "Laptop" but it hasn't resolved the issue. Good idea though!

Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks

I was wondering about this but it's at the very limits of my techie knowledge. I've read a lot about the Browsing issue and these elections that get held but do not have sufficient understanding to come up with an answer either. Thanks for the thought.

Bill

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not that I've really got a clue as to whether or not it will solve your problem, but....you did look under Power Management in Properties for your Network Adaptor (linksys) and there's no option to turn off the net card to save power? You can get there through the device manager in Control Panel >System, or from Network Connections (right click the connection) > Configure. Just a little surprised that option doesn't exist, but my knowledge is limited, to say the least.....

good luck,
    kip

New Lounger
    Thanks

Nope, that option definitely does not exist with the Linksys NIC on my"Home" beastie (using the native XP driver). I'm quite familiar with where it should be if it were there. I also believe that that is not the cause of the problem because it is in use way more often than that on "Laptop" since it is happily checking my e-mail over ADSL every few minutes with no apparent delays. In fact the delays only exist when "Laptop" is connected to the network (which is probably a crucial bit of info that I didn't add when describing the prob in my initial post).