Lounger
    Thanks

Save changes... but none were made (2002)

I found another thread on the board than mentioned some common reasons a document might prompt you to save it, even if you have done nothing to change it. I recently found a document that is causing my fits with this issue. I have crunched it down to a single page with no field codes that I can see when pressing Alt-F9. (I deleted the ones that were there before--a link back to the table of contents and a page number.) There are no font substitutions going on. I have opened a new document and done Insert->File and I get the same result. I have copied and pasted to a new document with the same result.

Can any of you figure out why this document loves to be saved? Only Word 2002 asks me to save it. Word 2000 on the same machine will close it with no questions asked.

You do have to leave the file open for a moment. As soon as the estimated characters messages in the status bar goes away, you can try to close it and you should get the same message I did.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Save changes... but none were made (2002)

I don't know if you will ever get to the bottom of this. The culprit seems to be the empty paragraph between "... must recognize that difference." and "Public Affairs is primarily ..." If you remove that paragraph, you don't get prompted anymore. The prompt is lost when you save as .RTF, but survives a save as .HTM, yet I don't see anything special in the HTML source (but then, I'm not a HTML expert). It's intriguing, but probably not worth a lot of time.

Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting. Thanks for delving into that mystery for me. True enough, that single empty paragraph seems to be the culprit. I used the Reveal Formatting Task Pane to try to see if there were any differences between that paragraph and the ones above or below it. It reports there are no differences.

Now my problem is that there are probably dozens of these paragraph marks in the document (before I cropped it to a single page). They may be in other documents where I have a similar problem. How do I recognize them to delete them when they crop up again? There must be some searchable attribute they have set which I can find and replace without manually deleting each paragraph to see if it solves the problem.

I wonder if there is a way to view more information about the paragraph than is visible even with Reveal Formatting. Where are good old WordPerfect reveal codes when you need them? Do you think there is a setting in the Format->Paragraph dialog that has something tweaked? I can't imagine what that would be, but it is something that automatically updates when you open a document!

Any other ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As I mentioned, converting to .rtf and back to .doc gets rid of the problem in the small example you posted. I don't know if it'll work for the entire document, and if the result will look sufficiently like the original.

I don't think you'll accomplish by looking at the formatting - the HTML document exhibited the same problem, but I couldn't find anything special about the HTML source code for the problem paragraph.

Perhaps one of the Word gurus will have a look at it and propose a solution or workaround...