New Lounger
    Thanks

Backward compatability of Macros (Word 2002 (SP1))

I have a document template in which there are a number of macros. Originally created in Office 97, the template has been updated and now runs on Word XP with a 2K Pro platform. On occasion, I do have to install the template on an earlier system and this has worked, subject to recompiling the macros to reference a ActiveX Data Objects Library.

The template project was secured by adding password protection to the the macros and also making the project non-viewable. Now, when I transfer the template to an Office 97 system, even after removing the project locking status on the original template, the new system still tells me that the project is locked and cannot be viewed.

If anyone can advise me on how to correct this, I would be most grateful.

Regards,

Ian

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Backward compatability of Macros (Word 2002 (SP1))

Ian,

Curiously changing the Lock status isn't enough, you have to remove the password as well. I don't know why but there must be a difference
    between Password protection of the template and password view 'Locking' . Have you both removed the password and reset the lock?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Frank,

Many thanks. That worked and I've now got the template transferred. There must be some (Microsoft) logic there for that! LOL!

Regards,

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

VBA for Office 97 had no protection options; this was introduced in Office 2000. I guess Microsoft played on the safe side and made VBA in an Office 2000 (or higher) document completely inaccessible when opened in Office 97 if any form of protection remains.