Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office tool bar (Win 98 SE/Office 2000 SR 1)

I use the Office Toolbar set to reside in the title bar area of the window. With a complete clean install, I cannot get the toolbar to stay on top although the custom setting is 'Always on top'. Any ideas on how to force the correct display?

Thanks in advance, Geoff

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office tool bar (Win 98 SE/Office 2000 SR 1)

I don't know the answer to your question, but why still use the Office Toolbar? It's a leftover from two or three versions ago. The Quick Launch toolbar in the Windows Task Bar is much more convenient.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Check "Auto Fit into Title Bar area" checkbox.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys.

A couple of points though.

I use the Office toolbar because the space is there--otherwise wasted--and if I have a number of applications or office docs open, the space on the Start Bar gets crowded.

I had the configuration right--I've been using the Office Toolbar since Office 4.3 and like it for the above reason.

The mad thing is that it now appears that the problem, along with the ghost entries for the CD-ROM drive in Windows Explorer that I asked about elsewhere, has gone away since I replaced the nVidia 41.09 drivers with the 30.82 release.

Cheers, Geoff

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Just out of curiousity, do you find that applications & utilities open up slower using the OSB? I actually would like to use the OSB, but I've found that everything opens much more quickly from either QuickLaunch or the Start Menu. In fact, I timed one utility (Advanced Find and Replace) & found that it went from 3.6 seconds on the start menu to over 9 seconds from the OSB. Of course, the OSB has the advantage both having several interchangeable rows & of not disappearing like a menu.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil

I hadn't noticed any particular hit in performance but I was upgrading from earlier versions of Office from slower PCs. Also, my 1GHz PIII PC was a bit of a dog. For example, I did not see any improvement when I switched from a PIII 733 to 1GHz. I changed the motherboard last weekend and the performance improvement is clearly visible so comparisons have little relevance. However, now, Word 2000 opens to a new doc in 2 sec, Excel 2000 in about 3, Project 98 in about 2, several utilities less than 1 sec.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>my 1GHz PIII PC was a bit of a dog.<hr>
    Well, I"ll stop whinning. I can open a new Word document in about 3 seconds directly if I don't load all my global templates & I'm using a 600MH PII. But for some reason, the OSB really slows things down.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Sheer luxury Phil,
    I'm quite happy with my plodding P1 233. Might upgrade soon though ... the new 2GHz P4s at work are just a tad quicker.
    Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]