Lounger
    Thanks

Security Manager (97)

I'm trying to use Security Manager via my company's network. I have created a "secure" database, setup the appropriate groups, and assigned users to those groups according to the level of access they need to the data. The process works fine on my machine...when I log in using one of the user's names that has read-only access, it behaves just as it should (prompts me to log in and restricts my access once I have). However, when I have any of the users install the add-in and open the "secure" database I've created it doesn't prompt them to log in, but automatically gives them the privileges assigned to the Users group.

I have the .mde database in the same folder on the fileshare that the "secure" database is in...this is the only requirement that the knowledge base gave me to run this tool on a network. Anybody tried this method, and have suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Security Manager (97)

<<However, when I have any of the users install the add-in and open the "secure" . . .>>

What is the add-in you refer to here, and how are you installing it? Making a database an MDE doesn't make it an add-in - there are a number of steps you need to go through.

Regardless, you must point all users to the security file - default name is system.mdw - that you set up to begin with. There are two ways to do that - with the Access Workgroup Administrator, or by specifying it's path in a shortcut on the user's desktop using the /wrkgrp switch. When you do the latter, you also need to specify the path to the Access executable msaccess.exe. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

The add-in I was referring to is the Security Manager add-in, which is already an MDE and was installed via Tools/Addins/Addin Manager/AddNew. Guess this isn't the direction I'm supposed to be going with this...can you give me an example of a shortcut's path I'd need to enter for a workgroup called system.mdw using the /wrkgrp switch and an msaccess.exe located in Crogram filesmicrosoft officeoffice

Thanks,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I've never actually used that tool, as we began working with security long before it was available. However as I understand it, the purpose of it is adminsitrative and lets you view both the user/group profiles and the permissions in an integrated environment, but it doesn't deal with the assignment of a specific security file to a specific database. Thus it would normally only be installed on a system that did security administration. This is an example of what the shortcut path might look like:
    <font color=blue><font face="Georgia">"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10MSACCESS.EXE" F:HealthyChildHealthyChildV1.mdb /wrkgrp "F:HealthyChildsystem.mdw"</font face=georgia></font color=blue>
    You might find our tutorial on security of value. It includes links to a number of Microsoft documents that delve into security in considerable detail.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

I got it to work using the shortcut method you provided...evidently that's all it was.

thanks a bunch!