2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

can't delete or edit record (2000)

In one of the tables in my database, a couple of the fields have, rather than letters or numbers, symbols that look like small rectangles. It's not the whole record and those fields in other records are OK. It does not allow me to edit those fields in that records or to delete the whole record. The error message refers to a "search key". Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: can't delete or edit record (2000)

It would seem that some fields in some records have been become corrupted. Try a Compact and Repair (Tools/Database Utilities). If there were problems, you'll probably get a message, and Access will create a table MSysCompactError that contains information about the problems that were encountered.

You can also download the Jetcomp.exe utility from ACC2000: Jet Compact Utility Available in Download Center. It can repair some problems that the internal Compact and Repair option can't handle. The download also contains a document that explains how tables can become corrupt, and what the entries in the MSysCompactError table mean.

If this doesn't help either, going back to a recent backup may be your best option...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to what Hans has said, you might want to identify all the records in that table (as long as there is not too many) and create a new table with all the same field definitions as the corrupt table and block copy records from the corrupt table to the newly created one.
    HTH and Good Luck
    Pat

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to you both.
    I was able to copy the uncorrupted records to a new table.
    I have never done Compact & Repair so I'll also try that out now.
    Thanks again for the quick responses.