New Lounger
    Thanks

adsl router via 2nd NIC

Hi all,
    I am running a Small Business Server 2000 machine with the network clients using IP addresses in the 10.0.0.x range. Our ADSL Router is connected to the network via the switch, with an internal IP address of 10.0.0.250 and our ISP assigned IP address as its external address. I would prefer to have the router connected directly to the server using a second NIC and a crossover cable as Small Business Server recommends, so that I can configure remote access via VPN. All the documentation I can find says that the IP address of the second NIC should be the IP address assigned by our ISP, but that is currently being used by our router (I can't change the internal or external addresses of the router - set by our ISP). I tried giving the 2nd NIC the same address as our router (our external IP address) and was able to logon to the network via a VPN connection but shortly after all the workstations lost internet access. Does anyone have any experience in setting up something similar.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: adsl router via 2nd NIC

Cross-over cable? This sounds just plain wrong to me. With a switch in place it doesn't seem like there's any call for cross-overs whatsoever.

l assume you've read MSKB #216238 - is this a binding order issue perhaps (check MSKB #238167)?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thats right. When the router is connected directly to the switch a regular cable is used. However, when the router is connected directly to the server via a second NIC (First NIC connects server to internal network via switch) a crossover cable has to be used just as if I was connecting two computers together with a single cable and no hub. I checked out the KB articles but they refer to Backoffice Small Business Server 4.x not Small Business Server 2000 and relate to MS Proxy Server, not ISA Server which SBS 2000 uses.
    I had everything working breifly last night with the router connected to the second NIC and the NIC having the same IP address as the router, but soon afterwards the server threw up an error because of the IP Address conflict between the NIC and the router.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It seems to me that you would do well to introduce a second router that handles VPN (e.g., the Netgear FVS318, around $110) in between your DSL router and your switch. I know it's possible to do Routing & Remote Access off the server, but generally you get better performance and less hassles when VPN is handled at a hardware level. You set up the VPN tunnel on the server side to point to the internal IP address of the server, and on the client side you reference both the external IP and the server's internal IP when setting up the VPN connection. The hardware then authenticates and forwards all traffic onto the server, and then your other computers still get the benefit of the DSL connection without your server having to do all the work.

HTH,

Charlie T.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charlie. Sounds like a good solution. I'll check it out.

Ryan