3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keyboard: Internartional English (Word 2000/Win98SE/W2kPro)

Sometimes I need to type the Spanish n with a tilde over it. I changed my keyboard in the control panel from English 101 to English International and I have gained the benefit of using the ALT + KEY shortcut I sought. (Holding down the ALT key and taping the n for the accented n.) The problem is now that some of the other keys have become unreliable. If I tap the single quote, nothing happens, but tapping it twice gives me two quotes! This happens in Win98SE. The caret also is unresponsive on one tap yet renders two if tapped twice. If I reset the keyboard, all goes back to normal but I have lost the desired shortcuts. At work we have a mix of WIN98SSE and WIN2000 PRO machines. I noticed changing the keyboard on the Win 2000 machines doesn't make the shortcut available (in the International setting). The short term fix so far has been to create a macro in Word 2000 on my Win98SE machine for the Spanish n, but I would like to know if there is a better remedy.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Keyboard: Internartional English (Word 2000/Win98SE/W2kPro)

The international keyboard option gives you, in all the Windows programs, many additional options for entering accented characters. The "unreliability" of the double-quote key is actually part of the options. The double-quote key (with the international keyboard option) is part of the process for entering a letter with an umlaut (dieresis) over it.

It is probably less complicated for you to switch back to the standard keyboard option and use the MS Word method for entering foreign letters. To enter the Spanish n with tilde: Ctrl plus tilde, then the letter n. In other words, hold the Ctrl key and the tilde , then hit the n key by itself. Of course you will need to use the Shift (to upper case) to get the tilde! So it's actually: Hold the Ctrl key, hold the Shift key, and hit the tilde key, and then hit the n key by itself. (The tilde key is upper-case key on the left side of the keyboard.)

That's what I do in Word97. ...J.Till

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

For completeness, here is an overview of accent + letter combinations available when the keyboard layout has been set to US International. I tested on Windows 95, Windows NT4, Windows 2000 Pro, Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Home, it works on every one of these.

<table border = 1><td>This accent key</td><td>followed by</td><td>produces this</td><tr><td>'</td><td>a c e i o u y</td><td>

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both for the clarification.